Discuss productivity tips for 2nd fix wanted in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently working on a big housing estate 'house bashing'. Does anyone have some tips/strategy to work more efficient and productive ?
[automerge]1569515225[/automerge]
Screenshot 2019-09-26 at 17.24.07.png

Attachments

• TELECOMS 500 DUCT, CABLES.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
I don't do that kind of work so this is probably not what you are looking for but....

I have a timer on my phone set to how long, roughly, each item should take.
All it does really is kick me up the rear when I start to fall behind and also when people getting in my way on site ask me what it is they tend to leave me in peace to get on with it. :D

More haste less speed...

Set your self up with just the tools you need in a pouch or small bag and drag a box around with you for the rubbish.
I tie a long length of brown and blue sleeve to my belt for switches.
Don’t make unnecessary trips to the Van or to the skip.

Speed comes with experience

cut corners like every other house basher. No sleeving, half tightened screws... grab the money and run.

only kidding

Time can be wasted by digging out plaster from boxes and sorting out cables that the plumbers had cut identifying markings off "for a laugh"

When I was younger, and a little more agile, I would go round a room one tool at a time.
ie, knife at each point for stripping back the sheath, then pliers to cut each conductor, then wire strippers, then screwdriver.
Added a little variety to a mundane job.

Now I need a little cushion to kneel on.

2nd fix. As Dusty said really. Snips, knife and driver maybe pliers if you struggle bending a cable end over. At least three meters of green and yellow and a good length of blue and brown. Sockets easy. Switches (if fed) take the time to do it right first time. If needed bell it out.

These for stripping twin and earth cable.

i like them. you can get within 3/4" of the cable entry into the back box, leaving a nice clean cut of the sheath, so it don't look like you've chewed it off.

my method is start in one corner of a room and work my way around the room each point at a time. I guess what slows me down the most is the bloody phone. If there was an upgraded version of the wiha speede I think that would help, my eyes are pealed.

D69FD816-BC21-49D8-8DD9-C1220DF7A4A9.jpeg
[automerge]1569568646[/automerge]
cut corners like every other house basher. No sleeving, half tightened screws... grab the money and run.

only kidding

Time can be wasted by digging out plaster from boxes and sorting out cables that the plumbers had cut identifying markings off "for a laugh"

When I was younger, and a little more agile, I would go round a room one tool at a time.
ie, knife at each point for stripping back the sheath, then pliers to cut each conductor, then wire strippers, then screwdriver.
Added a little variety to a mundane job.

Now I need a little cushion to kneel on.
Hi surly that method would use up more energy going to each point twice. I use a little step helps. Lot. 54F6C7DF-6CFE-4C30-92AC-622EFEF8C56E.jpeg

Last edited:
Realistically 2nd fixing takes X amount to time , you can only work so fast.
If you rush you will likely make bad connections and leave loose terminations etc

You can similar for lsf. Did farmhouse conversion with lsf, and the stripping tool was invaluable. Only prob was there was only two on site.
So that wire stripping tool actions strips lsf ? As I own a automatic wire stripping tools but does not strip lsf. I may have to buy that Jokari if it works well

Check and double check all your connections and be careful when putting sockets and switches back in. One failed connection and the time to find it will murder your productivity. Oh and get shirts made up with "Do not disturb" written on the back ?

More haste less speed...

Set your self up with just the tools you need in a pouch or small bag and drag a box around with you for the rubbish.
I tie a long length of brown and blue sleeve to my belt for switches.
Don’t make unnecessary trips to the Van or to the skip.

Speed comes with experience
Might want to add some G/Y sleeve as well as the brown and blue, and a tap and wrench to clean out any damaged fixing lugs on the boxes, oh and a large baseball bat to smack the plasterer, when he fills in the boxes with plaster, just kidding with the last bit, harmony on site and all that jazz.

Sometimes its the little things that help a lot.
Some accessories come with captive terminal screws unscrewed ready to accept the conductor. Others come fully screwed so that you have to unscrew to allow the conductor to enter the terminal then re-tighten.
You may not have a choice if accessories are specified but I find it does help if only a small amount each time.
Push in connectors on light fittings help a great deal too.

Reply to productivity tips for 2nd fix wanted in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net