Discuss Professional switch? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

notoriousgib83

Long story short, need to install a new circuit so that when the RCD trips, the freezer will come back on when power is restored. It's an old RCD and tripped when a powercut occured when these people were on holiday. No one there to put it back on, two weeks later lots of spoiled food. It shouldn't really trip but whoever did the wiring before did a horrendous job. Really needs a complete rewire. But owner's not playing ball.

My idea was to simply to install a radial circuit and put it on the unprotected side of the RCD. But another electrician said I could use something called a professional switch, which I've never heard of.........anyone ever heard of one? google doesn't seem to shed any light.

But owner's not playing ball.

Why not put it on it's own dedicated circuit without RCD protection? If you use the forum search function you will be able to find similar threads discussing this. There are quite a few ;)

:thumbsup

As for the owner not playing ball? The option that I would still have in my mind is are they worth my time and effort;) What if they can't be bothered to play ball when it comes to settling the bill?

:D

Hi, yes my main idea was to simply put a new radial circuit in down to freezer, not protected by the RCD. Just wanted to know if anyone had ever heard of this 'professional switch'. Seems not.

That bit of kit does not look cheap, great idea though. Sounds like your customer wants the moon on a stick but won't put his hand in his pocket. If this was me I would give them the options already said above and a quote for each and walk away.

I would rather sort out the basics (ie rewire) before you start installing fancy non-standard systems, which seem like a bit of a cheat.
As they say in America: "You can't polish a turd."

Reply to Professional switch? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net