Discuss Profit over efficiency? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

swifters

I have been asked to provide an estimate for the installation of a 2Kw system on each of 13 houses. The energy assessment does not make it clear as to whether it has to be 2Kw installed or 2Kw net. Most of the houses will have front facing dormers which by my calculation mean a maximum of 5 x 250w panels can be fitted to the front. Can you put the rest on the back? It will be pretty much North facing. Apparently other companies have said they can do it for circa £50,000 fully fitted. I can see how they can do it without taking into account efficiency levels but how stringent are building control on this? My guessing is other firms are putting the panels wherever, not maximising the systems and just concentrating on their revenues? Is this how the industry is?

Building control don't give a fig... If you have questionsover what they mean by 2kW - you need to ask the specifier, they probably mean 2kWp i.e. panel spec as that is what most EPC's are based on so that is 8 x 250 panels, if you spilt North and South - watch out for the Mpp split - I'll bet the others haven;t cared, there are some small inverters that will now do 2 x 1kW (source ..)

If these are new build, and if you can do them all at once, scaffolding is up, and treat it as one project , the price looks easily doable. Panels are still coming down on price, and the 2kW will be ourely to get the required EPC, so they will not care about brand names.

Is this how the industry is?

yep, the requirements for new builds are a joke, but enable the Government to say that under their care the FiTS program is booming, I mean, just look at the number of installations!! The fact they're all 2kW North facing doesn't come into it!

There is a new estate near to where I live that has approx 20 houses with panels on north facing roofs. What's even worse is that there were south facing roofs available on the rear of the properties that were not used. Frustrating to see.

Does the Inverter have to be mounted inverted? :cheesy:

Reply to Profit over efficiency? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net