Discuss ProjectEV charge point testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

leebut

-
Reaction score
Hi All

Last week I invested in a new Megger MFT1741+ with the EV charge point adapter as I was installing a ProjectEV charge point on Thursday of last week.

Completed the install and just needed to carry out the live testing at the charge point, Zs done no issue, next comes the charge point tester plug it in with the Megger NOTHING the charge point doesn’t switch into charge mode so no voltage!!

Spoken to Project EV technical as soon as I told them it was a Megger MFT1741+ he said it doesn’t work with our charge points!! They only know of KewTech that works on their charge points, technical guy said it’s fine they’re all tested in the factory!!

Anyone else know if this is correct also is there a way round it, obviously I need to test it and issue the certificate.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with different charge points and different testers etc

Lee

I'd be interested to know the resistance the Megger is putting out between CP and PE that is failing to turn it on.
To my knowledge, EV points respond to 2.4Kohm to determine there's a car on the end (state B), and if 1.3Kohm is added in parallel they start charging (state C). I think 843 ohms is the magic number most charge points close the contactor on receiving.

It would be good to know whether this particular manufacturer has tighter tolerances or if Megger haven't quite got it right.

I wonder how many car charge points are actually getting tested.... the circuit maybe, but the charger? Again it will be the conscientious who are having to fork out for expensive test equipment.... charging more to install.. losing work to people who don't..

Hi All

Last week I invested in a new Megger MFT1741+ with the EV charge point adapter as I was installing a ProjectEV charge point on Thursday of last week.

Completed the install and just needed to carry out the live testing at the charge point, Zs done no issue, next comes the charge point tester plug it in with the Megger NOTHING the charge point doesn’t switch into charge mode so no voltage!!

Spoken to Project EV technical as soon as I told them it was a Megger MFT1741+ he said it doesn’t work with our charge points!! They only know of KewTech that works on their charge points, technical guy said it’s fine they’re all tested in the factory!!

Anyone else know if this is correct also is there a way round it, obviously I need to test it and issue the certificate.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with different charge points and different testers etc

Lee
Bit late to respond but I've installed a Project EV charger with the mft1741+ and Meggers own EV adapter.
Worked fine and the dial changed the state of the charger..
I think I did have a bit of trouble carrying out a Zs though the EV adapter.. It kept tripping the onboard RCD even on the low 3 wire test. I just terminals in the end

I have only installed a few Project EV units as I focus on other brands towards the more premium end of the spectrum. (Andersen, Zappi, Hypervolt)
I have not experienced this myself (megger test lead and kewtech kt66dl) but have heard similar stories.
I am guessing the issue is the resistance as @timhoward mentioned. the min to max range is actually quite large and suspect either the charger and adaptor are ever so slightly out of the mean tolerance.
Ironically, I have a project ev to fit in 2 weeks as customer got it for free of her sister who had it on their new build, i fitted a zappi for them instead.

"Megger MFT1741+" - I'm thinking of getting one of these too. How are you finding the confidence meter on the Zs? Is it worth the extra?
Not sure it's worth the extra. Depends on circuit. Here's a couple of pictures of me testing on my Cooker circuit ones "Hi 2wire "the others "Lo 3 wirewith confidence meter" ;)

Attachments

• ProjectEV charge point testing 16427862246683783165151312266826 - EletriciansForums.net
    16427862246683783165151312266826.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 11
  • ProjectEV charge point testing 16427862550387446133474253374613 - EletriciansForums.net
    16427862550387446133474253374613.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 11
Not sure it's worth the extra. Depends on circuit. Here's a couple of pictures of me testing on my Cooker circuit ones "Hi 2wire "the others "Lo 3 wirewith confidence meter" ;)
Wow....
Well that's not great!

Makes you wonder how bad the normal one is. I thought a domestic would be about the least noisy circuit going!

I have the 1741+ too, not so sure on the confidence meter personally. sometimes it really does make you wonder as it gets bigger and smaller and then says there is noise on the circuit. Sort of are you sure that is your final answer kind of scenario. If I can I will usually use the 2 wire hi test as I believe the answer more than the 3wire low results, and generally the 3 low results are higher due to the way the tester is measuring without tripping the RCD.
Now don't get me wrong here I do really like Megger and have had and used them for over 15 years but some of the things on the newer ones do make me wonder if they are still a bit stuck in the past compared with other brands.
Sy

It looks as though my tongue-in-cheek comment on another thread about this wasn't far off:
I feel like joking that the scale of the confidence meter should probably go from "None" to "Low" 😉
Given the starting point of this test is doing an incredibly short duration test at a certain point in the wave cycle at a very low current I haven't ever have a huge amount of trust for low current Zs results. As you say, you can get 5 different readings in a row.
I also wonder how long it will sit there before giving up if it's impossible?!
Fair play to Megger for trying to improve the situation though.

Do you think there is another meter that is worth looking at?

Most of the features on the other meters look good initially then seem a bit gimmicky.

I'm about to buy a meter to last me a long time. I want to make sure it's money well invested.

Definitely worth a look at the others, I have heard good things about the TIS MFT. Have a look on the tube there are a lot of vids on different testers, I'm fairly sure effix did some. If you intend to have it for a long time it's worth having a good look at all the ones you are interested in and the specs before diving in! In a way I wish I had looked into them more before purchasing the megger.
Sy

Ive just ordered a 1741+ soley for EV charger installs will pick it up Monday. I was hoping to use my 1721 with the adaptor but after a call to Megger they said that the 1721 will trip the (DC) RCD, he says the 1741+ wont do this. After some further research on the 1741+ I found that when carrying out ZS test you need to put the unit into Mode 2 (to prevent tripping). See the vid below (from 2 minutes)

If anyone has tried this get around in mode 2 does not work let me know as I will cancel the order.

Do you think there is another meter that is worth looking at?

Most of the features on the other meters look good initially then seem a bit gimmicky.

I'm about to buy a meter to last me a long time. I want to make sure it's money well invested.
I was looking at the Metrel 1352 it has good reviews and seems to do everything, I tempted to buy it but was hesitant like you as it kinda did too much.
I was in the middle of a EICR one day and my Dilog just failed on me. CEF had one of the Meggers on on the shelf with the EV adapter (when they were just released) for a promotion price. Think I paid £925 + VAT.

Hi All

Lee
I have encountered the same issues using the same test equipment and project EVCE.
when I was calling for charge, nothing seems to happen, then after what felt like about 10 minutes, I heard a clunk when the relay/contactor kicked in and I finally had an energised phase indicator led on the EVCA210
were you able to resolve the issue that you encountered Or did you try a different tester?
Don’t really want to shell out for another piece of kit, but I may have no option.
appreciate its an old post, but thought there was no harm in resurrecting it.

"Megger MFT1741+" - I'm thinking of getting one of these too. How are you finding the confidence meter on the Zs? Is it worth the extra?
Sorry about the late reply I find the MFY1741+ really good the confidence meter is handy addition but in honesty it’s only there to give you a clear result so less effects of noise

Sorry about the late reply I find the MFY1741+ really good the confidence meter is handy addition but in honesty it’s only there to give you a clear result so less effects of noise
Hi Lee , thanks for the reply, it wasn’t late I just hijacked your thread. My issue was trying to use the 1741+ and the Megger ev adapter and trying to test a project ev charger. I wasn’t having a noise issue.

Reply to ProjectEV charge point testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock