Discuss proprietary earthing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tanglewood

Hi
can somebody explain the difference between a proprietary earthing device and non proprietary earthing device , wit examples of each?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
My interpretation would be designed for that purpose, or not. An earth clamp would be a proprietary device, a scaffold tube would be non proprietary.

If you come across anything else that you don't understand, try just googling the adjective and try working it out from there. Then you could check your answer on here!

My interpretation would be designed for that purpose, or not. An earth clamp would be a proprietary device, a scaffold tube would be non proprietary.

Hi
Yes, I think you are the closest. my interpretation was a, proprietary device Is one specifically designed for its purpose. eg an Earth clamp. Non proprietary not specifically designed for earthing purposes. eg plumbers copper pipe. Thanks for all replies

aplumber's copper is a proprietary devive. it's purpose is to confuse plumbers.

As mentioned,proprietary would be rod,sheath of TN-S etc,non-proprietary would be metallic ground service pipe etc, one would be "purpose made",where the other would be not made specifically for that reason,but acceptable nevertheless. And to add,sometimes that means acceptable in terms of testing,but not in terms of designing a new installation. My very good friend was telling me the recipe he uses for his "non-proprietary ringworm treatment solution",he swears it is effective,and i do not doubt his word,but the ingredients he listed lead me towards a proprietary means of treatment,should i suffer infection. :smilewinkgrin:

The terms proprietary and non proprietary are usually used in regulations and specifications,the term non proprietary usually refers to something not traditionally used and possibly a new invention,e.g when we still used jb's regularly and Wago's were just coming onto the scene the Wago would have been reffered to as a non proprietary method of connection.The reason these terms are used is to permit the use of new products or idea's which while they may meet all requirements are not by the fact that they are new, considered an item normally used.

Reply to proprietary earthing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net