Discuss Prospective Fault Current in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

babyshanks

Hi guys. I just got the results back for my AM2 and I passed everything except the PFC. I now need to go back and do the whole testing proceedure again which I am gutted about.

When I tested the PFC, I don't think I had three leads from my tester, I seem to remember only seeing two leads and using them on the earth and P1, P2 and P3. Is the neutral lead mandatory for a PFC test?

And if I remember correctly, I got 771kA, in hindsight, this seems too large to be correct, am I right? I don't know what was going through my head at the time of taking the test, I guess I didn't think a mistake on the PFC would be enough to fail the whole exam.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

depends on the tester being used wether 2 leads or 3 but generally
take pscc between l/n
take pefc between l/e
record the highest as the pfc

Hi mate,

Between all three phases and earth (3 tests) - PEFC - note highest reading

Between all three phases and neutral (3 tests) - PSCC - note highest reading

Between phases (if they, and your meter, allow you to) (3 tests) - note highest reading.

On a three phase installation the PFC will be the highest of the phase to phase readings.

If you can't measure phase to phase, take the highest reading out of your PEFC & PSCC and double it:) - this is then your PFC.

My Megger is a two lead tester - depends what you're using.

Hi guys. I just got the results back for my AM2 and I passed everything except the PFC. I now need to go back and do the whole testing proceedure again which I am gutted about.

When I tested the PFC, I don't think I had three leads from my tester, I seem to remember only seeing two leads and using them on the earth and P1, P2 and P3. Is the neutral lead mandatory for a PFC test?

And if I remember correctly, I got 771kA, in hindsight, this seems too large to be correct, am I right? I don't know what was going through my head at the time of taking the test, I guess I didn't think a mistake on the PFC would be enough to fail the whole exam.

hi mate
did you only measure pefc i.e between L1-E, L2-E ,L3-E , what about pscc L1-N, L2-N,L3-N
A three lead tester i.e a fluke multifunction needs the neutral lead to power the meter
where as a megger 1552 only uses two leads
and the highest L-N (pscc) value is multiplied by 2 and this is then recorded as the £ phase PFC as the highest will always be between the lines but you cant measure L1-L2 with certain meters so this is why you multiply by 2 as this figure is a rule of thumb figure and errs on the side of safety

And if I remember correctly, I got 771kA, in hindsight, this seems too large to be correct, am I right?

Thats a monster of a fault current
Gold conductors perhaps :)

The test as advised, and make sure what you are stating "771KA" that you are not meaning 771 amps and that if it was a single phase reading that you doubled it also as advised previously

Turns out it wasn't the PFC I failed on, but it was not doing the functional on the RCD, d'oh! Thanks anyway!

Hi
As i understand it
all three phases and earth (3 tests) - PEFC - note highest reading --------do not double these readings
all three phases and neutral (3 tests) - PSCC - note highest reading ------only double these readings
On the AM2 the only reason with a meggar 1552 to use the third test lead was their supply to test rig was via an RCD!
the highest reading is what is recorded as PFC.

Reply to Prospective Fault Current in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock