Discuss Protect Fused Spur? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

JamieRay

DIY
Reaction score
Hi
I’ve got an aluminium flexible duct from a cooker hood extractor which runs right next to a Switched Fuse Spur (3amp fuse)
Do you think I need to protect it from the heat generated in the duct?
Thanks

6D539854-8E49-4832-AF71-D73A06947724.jpeg

I would say no
I personally would of not had the switched fused spur behind the chimney as if the fuse goes you have to take the chimney apart to get to it.

I would say no
I personally would of not had the switched fused spur behind the chimney as if the fuse goes you have to take the chimney apart to get to it.
Thanks Ashrow
Yes agreed on that. I had a full rewire and they actually put a normal plug socket there initially. It didn’t really occur to me to question it at the time but once the new kitchen was fitted it became apparent. We’d been planning on just having recirculation mode on the hob extractor but realised that steam etc would just be pumping out into the socket.
By this point the tiling was complete and the easiest option ‘was’ to convert to extraction, which will be better to be fair.
They changed socket to switched spur and explained that it can be isolated with other kitchen sockets at new MCB. I’ve ensured the false chimney is easily removed (2 screws)
Just stressing about heat from duct onto the spur now? ?

Most sockets and spurs are made from thermosetting plastic that will not melt when exposed to the sort of heat you are likely to get there.
Realistically if it is getting too hot in that area the first thing likely to fail will be the fuse if it is loaded anywhere near it’s capacity.

I think it'll be fine... if that flexible liner gets hot enough to cause issues with the electrical accessory behind it... you're gonna have far bigger issues elsewhere !! I'm thinking of kitchen cabinets catching light ? Ceilings charring ? etc etc...

Most sockets and spurs are made from thermosetting plastic that will not melt when exposed to the sort of heat you are likely to get there.
Realistically if it is getting too hot in that area the first thing likely to fail will be the fuse if it is loaded anywhere near it’s capacity.
Thanks James
It’s a 3 amp fuse so guess it wouldn’t take much? If it’s an issue I wondered if I could put something between the duct and spur, like a heat resistant pad or something?

Thanks James
It’s a 3 amp fuse so guess it wouldn’t take much? If it’s an issue I wondered if I could put something between the duct and spur, like a heat resistant pad or something?
i wouldn't worry. the level of heat there will not be enough for a mouse's breeding nest. let alone damage a FCU.

Reply to Protect Fused Spur? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net