Discuss Proteus 3 phase wiring - Client smells burning. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dean31

Hi guys,

I have installed a proteus 200a switch today, I was instructed by the technical manager at proteus switchgear how to wire a new switch as the one I needed to replace isn't in production anymore.

He told me to mount the new switch in an enclosure next to the board, use 70mm tails and connect them to the busbar in the main board and in the bottom of the new switch in the enclosure next to it, bring the 3 phases into the top of the new switch and leave to neutral in the main board, and earth the enclosure.

I did this and it worked fine.

The client called me tonight and said he can smell burning, I said I would drive the 2.5 hours drive to his pub to inspect it but he didn't want me to come out as he is going out tonight and shutting the pub.

I have never worked on a proteus board and feel a little worried that I have done something wrong?

Can anyone give me there thoughts on how I wired this and if they would do it the same or disagree with the proteus manager?

I am going there tomorrow to sort it out but want to be able to sleep tonight and not worry about the pub burning down.

Many thanks guys.

if it's your work at fault it's probably a poor connection. it could, however, be something unrelated to what you have done.
ed
it: did you check the load? pubs with kitchens are notorious for drawing excessive loads. take a clamp meter with you tomorrow.

the switch is 200 amp, but is the db 200 amp, most are 100, anyhow as mentioned it may just be a coincidence, you had to lug the 70mm2 cables onto the bars I presume? if so what size bolts did you use and were they really tight?

Might just be an eddy current issue with line and neutral conductors entering the board by different routes? (Or possibly the three new tails through separate holes?)

shutting the pub should cause you less stress, no massive load being pulled
Like previous posts, check for tightness and take a clamp meter
proteus is a real rubbish make (i have had mcb in the off position and still be on :()
The burning smell be from elsewhere on the existing install

To cover your arse you should tell the client you wish to go tonight, if they say no thats their choice

Just to raise a point, replacing any switch, switch gear etc, why would you need to ask the manufactor ! ?

Thanks for your message, I had to ask the manufactor because none of the wholesalers cound find a replacement switch. So I got in touch with proteus and he told me I could use this switch and how it needs to be wired.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all your comments guys.

Reply to Proteus 3 phase wiring - Client smells burning. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net