Discuss Proteus rcbo Went bang in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Existing proteus rcbo went bang,any one had a similar problem,I haven’t switched back on yet.
The DB about 10 years old,don’t need this hassle.

I suspect just about every make of RCBO has gone bang at some point, and there was an issue with some blowing up when the test button was pressed a few years back. Think about the size of single pole RCBO's now and the close proximity of live and neutral components within connected directly to the busbars.

Proteus.......there’s your problem. Upgrade to better quality.
What he said Proteus, load of carp imo CEF's own make I believe, I had to do a job in Berlin, and got the said wholesaler to make me up a bespoke 2 consumers unit set up in a IP rated enclosure, ( no time allowed on site to do it myself) it came, it got installed, it got tested and it went Bristol's up after about 2 hours, no load just went that's it I aint working no more, Pete999 was not a happy Bunnie call the salesman that provided it, that he could stick his custom up a dark hole if that was the sort of service he was giving me. Went to an Independent outfit got great service good prices, and the the provided a replacement NOT Proteus I hasten to add, terrible stuff.

Last edited:
I’ve had an rcbo (QOE Square D) go bang once, but that happened when pressed the test button.....ended up with a blackened finger!

All I remember was I switched it on,it went bang,I also panicked & pressed the test button,the circuit is now on a 20amp Mcb,temporally until I replace the existing rcbo.

See the clean 6A MCB in this photo - I fitted this a few weeks back...

MK.jpg

the previous one gave up the will to live - as you can probably tell, the CU had suffered some water ingress .............. from the old leaking bath above which has now been all replaced

A nice shiny new CU has just been fitted!

The RCD side was no better .........

MK1.jpg

My advice to them was to plan to replace the CU or face a cowboy out of hours and get shafted..........

Thankfully they listened to what I said.

See the clean 6A MCB in this photo - I fitted this a few weeks back...

View attachment 39623

the previous one gave up the will to live - as you can probably tell, the CU had suffered some water ingress .............. from the old leaking bath above which has now been all replaced

A nice shiny new CU has just been fitted!
Was going to say that bus bar looks iffy

Is Hager crap too? Fitted a 6A rcbo (on a new circuit with satisfactory dead tests). On for about three minutes and it tripped. Pushed the toggle back up and .... bang.
It can happen with all makes

Reply to Proteus rcbo Went bang in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net