Discuss Prove the supply is dead.... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

p11jor

Hi there I have assesment next Thursday.....I do not have a proving unit.....is this a must or does anyone have any suggestions on a alternative acceptable way of proving the supply is dead, also one of my jobs I am showing is a new radial but the board was not changed, so to isolate the supply I have been pulling the main fuse......should I bite bullet and put a main switch in after the meter?

Hi there I have assesment next Thursday.....I do not have a proving unit.....is this a must or does anyone have any suggestions on a alternative acceptable way of proving the supply is dead, also one of my jobs I am showing is a new radial but the board was not changed, so to isolate the supply I have been pulling the main fuse......should I bite bullet and put a main switch in after the meter?

I wouldn't be pulling the main fuse in front of my assessor if I were you.

Do you actually need to isolate the supply to the CU if you're not changing it, wouldn't opening the main switch do???

you should be isolating with the CU's main switch. you can get away without a proving unit by testing as follows.
1. test the outgoing side of the main switch with your approved tester ( live ). 2. switch off isolator (dead ). 3.prove tester by testing on imcoming side of main switch ( live ). 4. retest on out going side ( dead ).

Lenny, exactly what I was thinking......I was just thinking though if I rake face of cu off then isolate, lock off, (I have then been advised in 2392 class to put face of board back on why I go round doing my dead test) how could I do this with a lock out and padlock on! That's why I was thinking put my own in after the meter and before the board so can flick off and lock off?

My NIC assessor (Approved Contractor Scheme) didn't slap my wrists for not locking off the supply on the last 3 years that i've had him visit. However, that's not to say your assessor will be the same as everyone's different. If you've got a lock off kit use it, if not i doubt they'll drag you over the coals for not locking off.

Cheers dunc, I will get one for the £8 our supplier wants, but do you think it would be a referal or fail for not having one even with the biggest arse of a assesor?

Also what would cause a fail or referal, I am **** under pressure and go red, stutter, panic, short term memory loss etc, but my job is fine, they could ask me questions and I may just end up staring at him for 5 mins before I can get my answer to him! I am doing domestic installer scheme by the way.

Domestic Installer scheme shouldn't be too bad. I know what you mean about it being stressful but usually the assessor will appreciate that you'll be stressed as they understand the scrutiny they are putting you under. So long as your work is sound and your office is in order you won't have a problem. If you want real stress take a step up to the next level and go for full approval. They want to see 4 individual jobs out of a choice of 7 when you go down that route and they take all day to do the assessment. I guarantee they will pick you up on a couple of things as it's almost as though they have to but i would say that you really have to do a complete FUBAR before they fail you. Best of luck and try your best to stay chilled, a cup of tea and a quick convo before they start the office audit is always a good way to get the ball rolling and settle in to things.

Nice one dunc, I can't imagine how stressful and difficult that must be for the full approval, you must be proud to get full approval and keep it. Mine is the driving test.....yours is the test to become a examiner! So well done :)

Reply to Prove the supply is dead.... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net