Discuss Providing Power to Mancave in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Doyley

-
Reaction score
Hello all,

My wife let me turn our conservatory into a mancave. I have a lot of electrical appliances in the .. PC, 3D printer, chargers, heating etc etc.
This is all running from extension leads originating from one socket that's available attached to the house side of the conservatory.
I imagine that this isn't a great idea.
What solutions could you recommend to provide a more acceptable power supply to my room rather than just chaining extension leads? As it's just a conservatory I'm not sure how the standard conduits you see in offices would work.
Thanks

I think the answer would depend on your understanding of the requirements for circuits in domestic premises particularly with regards to ensuring it is safe, and your practical skills with regards to electrical installation.
Perhaps you could provide us with some information about how competent you are, otherwise you may be best to call in an electrician?

Hello all,

My wife let me turn our conservatory into a mancave. I have a lot of electrical appliances in the .. PC, 3D printer, chargers, heating etc etc.
This is all running from extension leads originating from one socket that's available attached to the house side of the conservatory.
I imagine that this isn't a great idea.
What solutions could you recommend to provide a more acceptable power supply to my room rather than just chaining extension leads? As it's just a conservatory I'm not sure how the standard conduits you see in offices would work.
Thanks
It depends on the origin of the existing socket outlet you are already using.
If it connected to the RFC as a spur, you could swap the existing socket for a switched fused spur, and from that run some more sockets, but that would be for an Electrician to determine.

Home printer, TFT monitor & device chargers will draw a tiny amount of current, likewise the PC unless you're mining. Electric heating will likely be >95% of your current draw - more detail needed here - how many electric heater/s & what rating? You say "one socket" - is this one single socket or a twin? If you have just one electric heater and are running two separate 13A extension leads from a twin 13A socket, you're good for a total load of 20A (or 4,600-4,800W if that's easier)
Avoiding "daisy chaining" extension leads is good practice. If you are using close on using 20A, be mindful of what else is on that circuit within the house, to avoid overloading it. If you want more heat or something more permanent or separate in the conservatory, all things being even, this sounds a fairly simple job for a local electrician.

Hi - well done for getting a man cave area, and a 3D printer !!! If I was local I'd pop round, design something appropriate (ok, maybe way over the top) and trade you for play time with the printer :)

What is the size of the house and do you have and spare slots in the consumer unit, best way is to run a separate circuit to the man cave as then it keeps it all neat tidy until you buy the pinball table.

@Wilko, I picked up a Flashforge Creator PRO last year for half the price as the guy selling it used it twice screwed it up and decided he wanted a liquid plastic 3D printer, cleaned out one of the printer heads as it was blocked and hey presto a great working 3D printer for £400 and a couple of spools of filament. So keep an eye out on Gumtree and the likes.

Thanks for all the replies.

I am by no means an electrician. I am a bit of a hobbyist and I don't mind changing out light fixtures, sockets etc but I am aware of my limits. The socket is one single socket. There is a double socket the other side of the door frame, but currently wiring to that is difficult due to the layout I have. All my equipment is down one side of the room, the side with the single socket. The heater is just a crappy cheap one, about 8 inches tall with a fan I keep by my legs, I'm not sure of the wattage from memory, probably 2kW. I only use that intermittently. I'm led to believe the 3d printer uses a lot of power because of the heated bed. I have a socket meter that will tell me how much power is being used, I'll test that when I get home, I'm at work at the moment.
The house is a terraced 3 bedroom place, so it's quite small. A little longer than it is narrow. I believe there are free slots in the unit.

Thanks again for the info. I'll break out the meter when I get home and see how much I'm drawing.

Oh and the 3D printer .. it was a DIY thing from China so it was quite affordable at around £130. As it was so cheap it requires some maintenance, but that's all part of the fun :)

Just to add, if your wife has let you have a "man cave" don't be surprised when she asks you for a diamond ring or a boob job......... they are cunning creatures women.

Just to add, if your wife has let you have a "man cave" don't be surprised when she asks you for a diamond ring or a boob job......... they are cunning creatures women.
what's more to the point is that while he's playing with his toys in the man cave, what's his missus playing with in her woman cave?

and if OP want's a professional job in his cave ( electrics, that is), i'm the forum's resident Scouse Spark.

what's more to the point is that while he's playing with his toys in the man cave, what's his missus playing with in her woman cave?

and if OP want's a professional job in his cave ( electrics, that is), i'm the forum's resident Scouse Spark.
All you will be doing Tel, is playing withe 3D printer, could you print me one of those WIHA tool kits? something to gawk at when the TV gets boring.

me play with a 3d printer>? i can't even manage my inkjet without getting error messeages.

At least you can print your own parts..........

Ha I've printed about 10% of it so far

She's normally watching Eastenders or some other crap.
Awesome a scouse. Where abouts are you? I'm in Rainhill so on the outskirts. I work in Manc though.

Ha I've printed about 10% of it so far

She's normally watching Eastenders or some other crap.
Awesome a scouse. Where abouts are you? I'm in Rainhill so on the outskirts. I work in Manc though.
living between Northwich and Chester ATM. jus near the A556/A49 X roads.

Reply to Providing Power to Mancave in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net