Discuss Proving Unit - Napit assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If its your first assessment and you've got one and you're a sparky, then you should use it :) He's not going to think you're trying to impress him!

Just make sure the batteries aren't flat before ..... and take your time, and look as much up as you like. Nothing worse than guessing. Good luck chap!

I'm NIC and my assessor hasn't asked fro a proving unit. TBH you've got one at the incoming supply to a consumer unit.
Test live-neutral and live-neutral to earth. Switch off main switch. Test live-neutral and live-neutral from bottom terminals of main switch (or disconnected terminals). Then retest live-neutral and live-neutral to earth on incoming to PROVE continuing correct performance of your voltage tester.

Hope that helps.

Only time I've had to use one for proving safe isolation was when the DNO actually had a means of isolating between meter and CU and had used that as the isolation point. Otherwise using the incoming supply is OK.

Hi.

Safe isolation as required to pass the 2391 examination is as follows...

* Gain permission to isolate (there maybe someone in a lift etc).

* Identify the circuit to be isolated.

* Isolate the circuit.

* Lock off the supply.

* Add warning labels at isolation source.

* Check your voltage tester with a proving unit.

* Test isolated supply terminals.

* Re-test voltage meter with proving unit.

Sounds like a pain in the bum, but on larger installations this process is safe and pretty much fail proof.

Its what it says on the tin....."safe isolation".

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi.

Sounds like a pain in the bum, but on larger installations this process is safe and pretty much fail proof.

No such thing as "proving dead" really. Say there are multiple supplies and you "prove dead" and then find that it has been re-energised when you are working on it. Safer isolation procedure perhaps rather than safe isolation procedure.

No such thing as "proving dead" really. Say there are multiple supplies and you "prove dead" and then find that it has been re-energised when you are working on it. Safer isolation procedure perhaps rather than safe isolation procedure.

I won't argue with that comment Risteard.

Do you have a better procedure than the one I have posted?

Testing at regular intervals on large installations is surely one way.

Im interested in your thoughts.

I won't argue with that comment Risteard.

Do you have a better procedure than the one I have posted?

Testing at regular intervals on large installations is surely one way.

Im interested in your thoughts.

Wouldn't like to say that I have a better procedure than the industry recognised one, but just wanted to point out that it does have its limitations. I always assume that something is live even after "proving" dead.

Proving unit or Known supply, The latter is free :)

Okay, this is being picky and my head is full of books at present (it won't be for much longer).

But this is the truth of it.

Someone, one day, will use the supply as their 'proving unit'. They will test the supply as 'live', they will isolate what they think is the supply, they will re-test on their 'dead' supply and during that time their voltage meter will have failed, be it batteries or mechanical failure. Then they will assume the supply is dead....and it isnt.

Stranger things have happened and its the law of averages that such an occurance will happen.

Im only playing devils advocate here. This is unlikely to happen, but this is why 'proving units' are the recommended way of showing your voltage meter is operating correctly, hence proving isolation of the circuit you are going to work on, and protecting your safety.

So, Mattmoo......your 'known supply' is free alright, unless the batteries run out just at the wrong time, then it could be pricey.

Okay, this is being picky and my head is full of books at present (it won't be for much longer).

But this is the truth of it.

Someone, one day, will use the supply as their 'proving unit'. They will test the supply as 'live', they will isolate what they think is the supply, they will re-test on their 'dead' supply and during that time their voltage meter will have failed, be it batteries or mechanical failure. Then they will assume the supply is dead....and it isnt.

Stranger things have happened and its the law of averages that such an occurance will happen.

Im only playing devils advocate here. This is unlikely to happen, but this is why 'proving units' are the recommended way of showing your voltage meter is operating correctly, hence proving isolation of the circuit you are going to work on, and protecting your safety.

So, Mattmoo......your 'known supply' is free alright, unless the batteries run out just at the wrong time, then it could be pricey.

Unless your approved voltage indicator will work even without batteries. Just like this one

Martindale VT12 Voltage Indicator

i thought most did to be fair?

Hi.

Safe isolation as required to pass the 2391 examination is as follows...

* Gain permission to isolate (there maybe someone in a lift etc).

* Identify the circuit to be isolated.

* Isolate the circuit.

* Lock off the supply.

* Add warning labels at isolation source.

* Check your voltage tester with a proving unit.

* Test isolated supply terminals.

* Re-test voltage meter with proving unit.

Regards.
not someone using a PC then?...

wheres your lockoff key going?....an instant fail on the 2391 if you dont do this

Reply to Proving Unit - Napit assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock