Discuss Public liability insurance? Do I need it? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

John Matrix

Hello lads. I’m just wondering if I need Public liability insurance if I’m subbing to companies or working for agencies? I’m getting some stupid quotes. Don’t really know what I need to include.

thanks

Hello lads. I’m just wondering if I need Public liability insurance if I’m subbing to companies or working for agencies? I’m getting some stupid quotes. Don’t really know what I need to include.

thanks
What do you mean by "stupid quotes" John?

What do you mean by "stupid quotes" John?
Hi mate. I have a friend who has public liability and tools cover for 180 pound per year. I’m getting quotes of 400 per year. But I’m not sure if I’m selecting things that I don’t need to include. Such as legal expenses and it’s asking me if I work in Hospitals

Yes Yes Yes you need some form of public liability even if you are a subby

I pay about 200 quid a year for 2 million cover

I was forced to use it once on a dispute over a damaged party wall where the neighbour accused me of blowing the plaster on their wall when i chased on some sockets and switches on a job. These were old Victorian terrace with no cavity. just back to back brick walls...

My insurance company paid for them to have the whole room replastered and redecorated at a cost of 5 grand. i paid 50 excess.

so yes get yourself some insurance , it was the best 200 quid i ever spent that particular year

Not sure works quite the same as car insurance and no claims bonus, but if you’ve not had any PL insurance before, you are an unknown risk. So premiums could be little higher.

I used one of those compare web sites for my first year of insurance.

If you think that you MIGHT NEED IT, then get it.

it is a small price to pay for a huge benefit (if you ever need it)

p.s. if you don't have it and there is a serious issue that can be claimed against you, it is possible to loose everything. that could include your house if you own one.

I looked around for average prices and apparently the cost of liability insurance for an electrician in the UK starts at around £85 to £100 for basic coverage. So your quote of £400 does seem steep.. but of course the prices depend a lot on your individual situation. My source was this article

but don't tell them you do any plumbing. most of the flooding we have seen on the news is not caused by climate change and swollen rivers. it's caused by wet pants. that's wht their premiums are so high.

1600086641976.png

wet-pants fitted a new shower in No' 47. ( and he fed it from the upstairs lighting circuit).

1600086834227.png

at least the Fire Brigade had plenty of water to put the fire out.
1600086942976.png

Last edited:
I literally just renewed mine earlier today - £208 for £5m, ELI, PI and £5k tools...... there's deals to be had - learn to haggle!

Mine's currently a little under £100 with Directline Business for £2m no extras.

Might be worth trying Rhino Trade Insurance, just had a good quote from them for Professional Indemnity and you can use the code BUNDY10 for 10% off (Nick Bundy on Youtube's code)

10 million cover against 5 million was only another £30 with Hiscoxs . I have used them for years .can be bothered to see if i can get a better deal .They have been around and if anything went wrong .I want them to be dealing with it .Not some rubbish company that will run away in the middle of the night etc

Reply to Public liability insurance? Do I need it? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net