Discuss Pull cord switch - cooker isolation? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I suppose you could, although I'd try to avoid it at all costs because it's not what you'd expect - if there was, say, a chip pan fire you don't want to have to be searching around for a non-standard switch to turn the cooker off.

I wouldnt say it was an easier option as you have to get a cable from the ceiling to the cooker point , ill be honest i wouldnt be happy in doing that current wise no problem but as novus sparks has said , and plus if you are carrying a pan of boiling water and accidentally hook the cord it could end up causing seriouse injuries ,,so when you look at the points that have bene made i would say no stick to the norm

Thanks all.

BTW we haven't used a chip pan for 30 years and I wouldn't expect an electrician to position a pull cord anywhere near the cooker ;)
My idea was to position it in a corner on opposite wall to cooker (where it would be impossible to catch anything on it) but still within two metres.

Al

ALH It is a novel idea, though one I wont dream of using

It got my imagination going
There in the corner is the bank of pull cords perhaps 8 in total,cooker washer dryer etc
The lady of the house pulling away as if she was the local bell ringer
Kelp forest wiring we could call it :)

There in the corner is the bank of pull cords perhaps 8 in total,cooker washer dryer etc

Campinology at it's finest, it's got to be a bored sparks on a sunday afternoon question

:):):):) Like it......

Had a 'similar' scenerio before where I had customer ask if "instead of all those trip switch thingy's in the fuse box can I have pull cords" - seriously

Can't get my head round it. I'd hate to have a lovely kitchen....with a piece of pithy string dangling from the ceiling. If your going to place it opposite the cooker I take it you have a small kitchen?

Ok I'm bored, got the brb out..... reg 537.2.2.6 each device for isolation shall be clearly identified..... Put it on a pull cord in the corner but you will have to put a sign on/near the cooker saying where the switch is and also put a sign on the switch saying that its for the cooker. What a mess, just put a normal wall mounted cooker switch on.

Al im sorry weve taken the mick a bit please forgive us , its an idea but as some of the reasons have been pointed out especially the one paul made regarding labling i would stick to the normal just my opinion

back to question about chip pan fire!! if it has caught fire turning power off aint going to do much!! its too hot already and best bet is get ---- out and dial 999!! or wet towel approach!!!

wet towel and turn ring off at cooker. no use thinking " is it electric or gas hob, where's the switch"

OK forget the chip pan example and imagine if there was obviously a loose connection in the cooker fizzling and crackling away, or some other nondescript reason why you might want to turn it off in a hurry - surely better to instantly know where to turn it off rather than have to play 'bellringers'?

Reply to Pull cord switch - cooker isolation? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net