Discuss pull switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

martinsayer81

hi guys,

just a quick one, what zones can you fit a pull switch in a bathroom?

i have to fit a shower-light-fan combo above a bath that has a shower in it, can i fit the pull switch in the ceiling above the bath at the opposite end to the shower? This way it makes it obvious that the pull switch in the bath is for the fan,

and one other thing, what do they mean by an 'insulated' pull cord? do they mean a plastic pull cord?

cheers guys

What height is ceiling ?
Above ( i think ) 2.25 mtr no zones , but i wouldnt fit it directly above the bath / shower anyway , just to the side would be ok.

plus the bathroom is quite small and the pullcord would look silly in the middle of the ceiling, plus there is already a pullcord just as you come into the bathroom for the other ceiling lights..

ceiling height is 2.4M from floor level,so its outside the zones but when standing in the bath i can touch the ceiling!

If it's at 2.4M then it is outside zones. Simple. If it is a piece of string, as is the norm, then it is insulated as far as the regs are concerned.
If you personally think that it could be sprayed then you can make the decision to move it further away.

wouldnt it look a bit cluttered with 2 pullcords side by side, and i think it would get confusing to guests as to with cord is for the lights, i want it to look good and be safe at the same time.

I always like to get the customer involved. Work out yourself where you think the pullcord is safe, then give the customer a few options. They will choose exactly where they think it looks best out of your suggestions and everyone is happy. Nothing worse than doing something you think is right, only to have an unhappy customer say "Oh, I don't want it there".

Why not loop it off the existing lights?
One thing to bear in mind is just because it is outside of zones doesn't necessarily mean that it will be suitable for the location, as the installer you make the decision if it is fit for the external influences.

Why not loop it off the existing lights?
One thing to bear in mind is just because it is outside of zones doesn't necessarily mean that it will be suitable for the location, as the installer you make the decision if it is fit for the external influences.

thought it might be a nuisance if the fan kicked in when someone just wanted to use the loo late at night, when others are asleep!

Normally shower lights utilize an in line fan, my findings are they run quite quietly, but see your thinking. I'd probably still loop off existing though. :>

Reply to pull switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock