Discuss Pulled out BT Master socket 🙃 in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

DannyP228

DIY
Reaction score
Evening,

I’m wondering if someone could give me a little guidance. Whilst removing some old carpets I pulled out what I now believe is the BT master socket. I didn’t realise it was the master as it’s in the spare bedroom upstairs. Anyway before realising I decided to disconnect it from what I assumed was a connection box in a nearby cupboard. Within 15 mins I got a nudge from the Mrs that the internet isn’t working and I knew straight away it was due to something I’ve done.

I tried to reattach the wires but I’m not having any luck.

Is there anyone that can please give me guidance on what I need to reconnect to get things working again? I’ll attach a few images of the Master socket and where it leads to, it’s wired from my attempt at getting it working again.

Thanks in advance. Not ideal timing this with a new born 😅

Danny.Pulled out BT Master socket 🙃 AD0A279A-8A36-4262-8B9F-698F35FF983F - EletriciansForums.net

The terminals marked A and B are the incoming from the street. That incomer only needs to have 2 cores. There appears to be a cut cable… where does that come from?

Outgoing to extension sockets use the terminals marked 1-6 but normally only 2 and 5 are used domestically, using the blue/white and white/blue of the 6 core.

Is this the only phone point in the house?

Did you cut that other black cable?

What does the connection box in the cupboard look like?

It may be that things have been altered over the years and this is now being used as an extension from a different master socket.

The terminals marked A and B are the incoming from the street. That incomer only needs to have 2 cores. There appears to be a cut cable… where does that come from?

Outgoing to extension sockets use the terminals marked 1-6 but normally only 2 and 5 are used domestically, using the blue/white and white/blue of the 6 core.

Is this the only phone point in the house?

Did you cut that other black cable?

What does the connection box in the cupboard look like?

It may be that things have been altered over the years and this is now being used as an extension from a different master socket.
Thanks for the reply.

I was trying to add a few extra images to the original post but the files were too big. Pulled out BT Master socket 🙃 B24EF7E6-32CC-465E-9828-82C187F672D5 - EletriciansForums.netPulled out BT Master socket 🙃 24A9A184-6ECF-4983-B07B-036F8609C95D - EletriciansForums.net

So at first the black cable going into the master came out, so I then disconnected it from the junction box* on the wall. Once I realised it’d affected the internet across the house I stripped the wire going into the master and tried to re-wire and also tried to reattach to the other side. Issue being not knowing where each wire goes 🙈

Thanks again for any help.

Reply to Pulled out BT Master socket 🙃 in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock