Discuss Pulling in swa in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good evening all
Got a 200m run of 3 core 10mm swa to install in a trench. Rather than pulling it through a duct, was wondering if anyone has ever pulled the duct over the cable, then dropped in into trench.
Duct is 50mm internal diameter flexible type. Might be a non starter, just weighing up options.
Thanks for any help.

Good evening all
Got a 200m run of 3 core 10mm swa to install in a trench. Rather than pulling it through a duct, was wondering if anyone has ever pulled the duct over the cable, then dropped in into trench.
Duct is 50mm internal diameter flexible type. Might be a non starter, just weighing up options.
Thanks for any help.
50mm = 2 inches 10mm SWA 3 Core gonna be tight hope you have a strong pull cord good luck, same as what cliffed said, in complete agreement with him

I'd say non starter, unless you did it with several men / women / others, to lift the weight.
50 mtrs of SWA weighs around 40kg so when you're dragging the 50mtr length of duct you've got 40kg of SWA bearing down on it once you get a full length of duct on the cable.

At best you'll rip the duct, defeating the whole purpose of using it.

But on another note I either wouldn't install a duct unless requested my client or 4 inch duct. Wouldn't bother with 50mm it'll be a nightmare

If you already have bought the duct and it is not reusable/returnable then you might as well put it over the SWA before dropping it in. But 200m is a long pull no matter what, though a team of heavies and plenty of cable lube might allow it but really you ought to be looking at something bigger.

If you do decide just to put the cable in the ground directly then make sure you have 5-10cm of sand down first, and the same on top afterwards, to stop stones and other stuff from damaging it as you back-fill.

save all the hard work. hire Mighty Mole for a day.
1620461347244.png

If pulling a 200m length of duct over a 200m length of SWA with a 200m pull cord you need 400m of space in a straight line to do it, and that is only if the draw cord is already in the duct, I did this with an alarm cable, but only 100m, would be easier in 50m sections with draw pits.

Reply to Pulling in swa in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net