Discuss Pulling main cut out fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am aware this topic has been raised before, however, I was at a job this week where a new consumer unit is to be fitted.

I have asked the owner to contact the supplier to arrange for an isolator to be added between the old board and the meter.

On doing so, The supplier has stated the rules had changed and the electrician can cut the tag and remove the fuse to isolate.

Needless to say, I am far from happy with this so asked the owner to call them again. This time they said when I am at the job to call them and speak to them for authority. Again, I am stilk not happy and am presently refusing to do the job without a fitted isolator.

My understanding is WPD are the owner and only they should be doing such things.

Does anyone have any thoughts or heard anything to the contrary?

Thanks

Irrespective of DNO policy, I'm very surprised the supplier didn't jump at the opportunity to fit an isolator, as for the cost of parts and time taken vs the charge, they make serious margin on doing these.

SSE told me,over the phone admittedly, that as long as you are registered with a scheme you can pull the fuse and let them know afterwards.....
That might be because for every job you are supposed to do a risk assessment/method statement and as a scheme member that's what you are expected (in theory) be doing.

Mick - as you are an electrician, I suggest updating your profile and losing the "DIY" banner before you get assassinated over this topic!

Fair point. Can someone point me in the right direction as to who or how this is done please

SSE told me,over the phone admittedly, that as long as you are registered with a scheme you can pull the fuse and let them know afterwards.....

SSE does have policy for domestic single phase supplies, if you search for procedure for removal & replacement of company cut-out seals by electrical contractors.

After completion of your works, use their temporary seals, and give them the details, to re-seal. Course you should carry out a risk assessment of the condition of the cut-out (i.e. removing main fuse) before doing so, and wear appropriate PPE.

I do recall these policies & procedure were being reviewed by the Energy Networks Association, to have a common approach. But I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Reply to Pulling main cut out fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net