Discuss Pulling SWA cables is the rope strong enough...How much can a man pull "Calc's RAMS" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Stephen Little

Hi
Need some help with a tech question
How do i know the size of a rope to employ when pulling cable?

Is there a calc for this
The factors to be considered I'm guessing
lenght of pull
Number of men and there pull force
Dead Load
Live Load
Rope in Compression
Tension in rope
Bending forces on rope
Deflection????

any one?

Re: Pulling SWA cables is the rope strong enough...How much can a man pull "Calc's RA

the rope should bea a minimum of the size determined by the following equation.>>>>>>

(diameter of cable x weight in lbs per foot x length of duct in yards)/ (no. of men pulling x -------- circumference of the lead puller)

Re: Pulling SWA cables is the rope strong enough...How much can a man pull "Calc's RA

rope !
how big is the cable , i use a troop of ferrets

Actually Morph the collective noun for ferrets is business.
So you use a business of ferrets
.................yes I know I'm a pedant!:wink_smile:

I use one ferret which is fed on strict protein & steroid diet.....know in manchester as a 'madferret'

lenght of pull
On rollers or across bare ground?
Tug O War team or a couple of blokes from down the pub?
Dead Load
Is the cable run out or on a drum on a stillage?
Live Load
By live do you mean a downward pull? (I resisted, don’t pull live cables).
Rope in Compression
Let’s see you compress a rope, I for one will be impressed
Tension in rope
Ropes don’t come with a SWL rating. This has to be found in slinging and rigging books.
Bending forces on rope
Depends on the size, material and construction.
Deflection????
?????
any one?

As for the rope, I will try and find my riggers pocket book.

Actually Morph the collective noun for ferrets is business.
So you use a business of ferrets
.................yes I know I'm a pedant!:wink_smile:

i knew it was not troop but i did not know what it was, thank you
ps
a troop is for monkeys

Experience is the answer here mate. 9/10 times you will know by the run& the amount of men you have available. Every bend will require a bloke, unless rollers are used, but even then I'd want one there. If the amount of men you have is limited, then pull the cable out at intervals, and then pull it up the next section. IMO if your pulling so hard that the rope snaps, then your doing it wrong, and people further back are not grafting.

I have a rule of thumb guide which works on pulls though ducts 50m apart and generally let's me pull a cable 600m in a straightish line.

2mm less than the cable. So if you are pulling 6mm then use 4mm.

Lets not forget equal opportunities, and work the lumpy jumpers into the equations...

Ok
some useful bits and some not so.

I understand if I’m to use a 20mm Nylon which has a UTS 8 ton loading appx

I know the 8ton is more than what I will be pulling up a 15meter riser

Rollers at the top and 3ton jacks in basement

4 men tugging and shoutie bloke in the basement

120 4c Cu Largest cable

Is there a British standard for the physical strength of a man?

We have one for a foot step....

with the ever increasing detail needed in RAMS

is there really not a system to be employed in making sure we have taken all reasonably
praticatible steps to maintain a proven safe system of working

lenght of pull
On rollers or across bare ground?
Jacks up then fresh air 15m up on to trays t
Tug O War team or a couple of blokes from down the pub?
Just bodies
Dead Load
Is the cable run out or on a drum on a stillage?
Drum

Live Load
By live do you mean a downward pull? (I resisted, don’t pull live cables).

haha yes the force pulling down and the movement/swing in the cable as it rises along with the strain on the joint and the force on the pull up

Rope in Compression
Let’s see you compress a rope, I for one will be impressed
by pulling on a rope you force the strands that make up the rope in to compression
the rope is in tension with the forces top and bottom but the fibers are then compressed

Tension in rope
Ropes don’t come with a SWL rating. This has to be found in slinging and rigging books.

No but ropes have a max breaking load

Bending forces on rope
Depends on the size, material and construction.
would have said the issues are loads and force then selection of size material and construction
I want to work out whats best to use do i really need a 20mm nylon rope or can i use a 10mm
should the rope be nylon or is a a more suitable material

Deflection????
?????
Beam load calc's but might have been relevant not sure....?

any one?

Ok

120 4c Cu Largest cable

is there really not a system to be employed in making sure we have taken all reasonably

you could use these,the supplier should supply all the data needed for rams

CABLE SOCKS, CABLE PULLING SOCKS, CABLE GRIPS, CABLE STOCKINGS, 3.3KV 11KV 33KV HV CABLE SOCKS

well anybody`s welcome to see how much i can pull.....i warn you now it will cost you ale and i can get cross n all.....

One thing I will mention, you may be able to use a 10mm rope. Now you try gripping it while pulling, a bigger rope makes life easier. Also a sisal rope is much easier to grip. Nylon is OK if you’re using a winch.
When we were pulling large cables in we would enrol the lads that worked in the quarry. They were animals but god help you if they hurt their pinkies pulling on the rope.

Ok

120 4c Cu Largest cable

to add to that if its a big run id say a set of 2 way radios,shouting pull/stop hold on/whos not pulling etc might not look good on rams and ssow,and depending on the size of the riser a safety harness may be needed for anyone working in or near the top add the cordened off areas etc hard hats saftey glasses gloves etc,not like the old days when you just pulled it in and that was it..

Reply to Pulling SWA cables is the rope strong enough...How much can a man pull "Calc's RAMS" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net