Discuss pulling the plug in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

wet string

when fitting a new board what do the rest of you do?
do you contact the supplier. scottish power in my case,
in the past id phone up and get permission and they would ask for a date that they could come and resecure the cut out. no charge
but lately the've started saying, no ,we.ll fit an isolator, then quote anything up to 6 weeks plus a hefty charge for the client.
i'm not keen on waiting weeks before i can start a job! this sounds like a way of upgrading to their regs whilst getting the client to pay ,but its us that are the percieved cause of the expense by the client!:confused:

I just cut and pull then resecure ! i am lucky though as ex southern electric and have about 4 thousand sealing wires & seals but as long as nobody can pull cutout fuse or link out without a tool then im ok as when i worked for SEB 60% of cutouts didnt have seals etc on anyway and although sup illigal to remove without autorisation they dont give a dam as it costs to much time/money & hassle to take it to court anyway.
So cut pull and resecure !
Regards
Tony.
Failing that sneak in and cut the seals then drop them between the floorboards and say to customer oh look the cutout fuse hasnt even got a seal on it !
Works 99% of the time

Last edited by a moderator:
Just get some small bits of mild steel and desent pliers and bend it round the wire or fishing shots work ok

Hey Tony.

I thought that all seals when crimped had a unique number imprinted onto them which could be then traced back to the meter man ???

I have to say though I dont think my local DNO check on it at all as I admit to having cut the seals in the past and nothing ever came of it.

Have you ever come across anyone being prosecuted in the past??

Thats my point , i just cut and replace, who's to say who cut it.and when,
just another example of trying to do the right thing and getting
s$$t for it

Hi Lenny
Yes the sealing crimps do have a unique number on your right i was on non routine and used to crimp the seals 4-5 times then nobody could tell what the number was anyway ! No never heard anyone being pross for it only time is if meter was bypassed but there was more ways to skin a cat like cut into the cutout feed etc most of these we saw were cannabis factories. If the seal wasnt on it when you arrived what can you do ;)
but either way they wont bother with small things like that the only way they might do something is if someone stuck their fingers in the cutout but as long as you seal it with wire and some squashed metal seal your covered as you made it safer.

Exactly. I'm not championing breaking the law because technically it is, but we all do it for one reason or another.

I do feel that DNO's charging for the provision of an isolator is a bit unfair as at the end of the day it's going on their equipment,

exactly and as they say the outgoing meter tails are the customers responsibility surely their stopping us replacing them by not having an isolator meter where you can shut the outgoing supply off as apposed to remove the cutout ! their the ones in the wrong denying us the right to touch our tails !.

We are ! JUST NOT IN FRONT OF THE CUSTOMERS.
and if you do that in front of the niceic assessor youd end up failing the assessment.

Can the electricity board prove that there were seals already connected.Your word against their's.I do it all the time.No seals.Up to them to prove it

Reply to pulling the plug in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock