Discuss Pulling the service fuse... shared Neutral?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

JamesBrownLive

I've talked about the fact that my DNO was not prepared to install an isolator switch in a previous thread, so I won't go into that further here.

The general feeling from those that replied was that I should pull the service fuse and install the switch myself. Legalities aside, whilst I was prepared to do this, I think I face a larger problem if I do decide to go that route...
The problem that I think I am going to have is the fact that the SH serves both my flat and that of my neighbour. The phase appears to have its own separate fuse but the neutral appears to be shared (see attached pic)

It is my understanding that as both phase and neutral are considered 'live' I would need to ensure that both are disconnected before I begin my work. This brings me to my problem....
When I remove the cover from the 'neutral' part of the SH am I likely to see one connector that would serve both my flat and that of my neighbour? or will there be 2 connectors that enable me to isolate them separately, or in the case of my neighbour, not at all?

Having read about crumbling fuses and the like, this is not something that I am prepared to try without gloves/gauntlets, and as I don't own any a visual inspection is as far as I have got.

I am worried that if it goes wrong, I could end up screwing up the electrics for next door as well as mine :eek:
My feeling right now, because I am fairly new to all this and because of the 'shared' nature of the supply, is that I should get the DNO to come in and isolate.

I'm interested in seeing what the older, wiser members on here think is the best course of action.

Cheers

Attachments

• Pulling the service fuse... shared Neutral?? SH - EletriciansForums.net
    SH.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 185
If you are not sure get the DNO out and watch him like a hawk so you learn from it warn your neighbour just incase.

Chris

If you pull the fuse to your flat you will be able to disconnect the associated N from the service head without interfering with the neighbours supply. The sevice N will remain connected and the neighbours N will still be connected,they are in separate terminals in a common block.
However this is the service head connected to the national grid.....you need to be competant to safely work on it....if you are not confidant dont touch it.

In my opinion pulling your fuse is not going to affect the neighbours supply. Just to clarify, it seems in your post you are considering D/Cing the neutral at source - this isn't necessary, but in this case I WOULD test for dead and then test for dead again and once more for luck once you've pulled your fuse.

Regarding the rubber gloves comment - DO IT! Just because we've decided to say balls to the DNO it doesn't mean we need to be cavalier about it. Gauntlet up, check your boots for conductive material, stand away from the fuse (but make sure you're balanced), hold it firmly but don't squeeze, and draw it straight back away from the carrier in one swift, smooth and firm movement - you don't want to be wiggling it out as you'll get one hell of a flash. Make sure you cut the seal first - I've been left with a half-hanging out fuse and it's not a mistake you'll make twice!

Good luck old man *salutes*.

There shouldnt be any arcing if there is no load present.

And you will also need to be careful that you dont pull the whole head off the wall :D

IMO if you are asking questions like this you SHOULDNT TAMPER with the service head as advice given with good intention CANNOT be there and see how britle the plastic is or other stuff Also if I remember correctly the service head you have in the picture is an older type one and does not have covers over the live terminals get the DNO to isolate and install an isolator explain your concerns and the EWAR regarding safe isolation

On reflection, I'm going to join the 'ring the DNO' camp on this one, and watch what they do intently.

cant see the problem myself, but then ive worked for dno so pulling fuses is just par for course.

although when working for dno we never bothered with ppe etc, i now wear gauntlets and visor when pulling service fuses after watching video nasty on what can go wrong.

its simply looping from one property to next from service head as opposed to each property seperately

Not familiar with that term BUT YOU are thinking about pulling a serrvice fuse GET A GRIP call the DNO get them to do their job

Not familiar with that term BUT YOU are thinking about pulling a serrvice fuse GET A GRIP call the DNO get them to do their job

Mogga, I understand your concern.

Whilst I might have been tempted had the service head supplied only my flat, the fact that I realised it didn't had already made me think otherwise. If you re-read what I originally wrote you will see that getting the DNO in, is what I had pretty much decided to do.

Cheers

Further to the above, now that I have done my homework re 'looped' service.

Is my supply 'looped' ?

Are 'looped' services looped by the tails coming out the top of the service head i.e after the fuses

or does the 'looped' cable come back out the bottom of the SH. In much the same way as the image I've attached.

The reason I ask is because my SH only has one cable going in, not another 'loop' going elsewhere.

I think the whole discription of 'looped service' just threw me because looking at the cable arrangement, 'shared' would be a much better and more easily understandable definition.

Don't worry Mogga, I'm still not going to touch it whatever happens. I just want a better understanding.

Cheers

Attachments

• Pulling the service fuse... shared Neutral?? 100_0501 - EletriciansForums.net
    100_0501.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Pulling the service fuse... shared Neutral?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock