Discuss Pure sine wave step down transformers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi,

Looking for some advice.

I’m needing to purchase a step down transformer to run something from the USA in the UK. I already have one, but it’s for a piece of analytical equipment and is giving odd results.

Manufacturers think it’s down to the frequency running at the uk 50hz and not 60hz as intended.

Is there such a transformer that will put out pure sine wave or give the frequency of the USA electrical system?

Thank you,

OP. What EF folk who can advise you need to know is a little more information:

0.5. What is the piece of equipment?
1. What is the voltage and frequency rating of the analytical equipment as stated by the manufacturer? Could you photo for us the rating plate?
2. How many phases or does it have a small simple plug on the lead which would mean it is single phase as used in a home?
3. What is the power (or kVA) of the equipment?
4. Does it contain a motor or transformer?
5. What are the circumstances and situation in which the equipment is to be used? These have a bearing on how the frequency converter is physically made to avoid water, dust, mist entering the box - Ingress Protection rating (IP).

These are some things you might add some flesh to please.

:)

OP. What EF folk who can advise you need to know is a little more information:

0.5. What is the piece of equipment?
1. What is the voltage and frequency rating of the analytical equipment as stated by the manufacturer? Could you photo for us the rating plate?
2. How many phases or does it have a small simple plug on the lead which would mean it is single phase as used in a home?
3. What is the power (or kVA) of the equipment?
4. Does it contain a motor or transformer?
5. What are the circumstances and situation in which the equipment is to be used? These have a bearing on how the frequency converter is physically made to avoid water, dust, mist entering the box - Ingress Protection rating (IP).

These are some things you might add some flesh to please.

:)
Careful Marconi, you'll accused of being an interrogator Mate.

My wife think I have autistic traits - which is the pot calling the kettle black as far as I am concerned - I don't load the dishwasher or iron anymore leaving it to her to fill and flatten respectively. I am pretty sure I do have some traits which is not that unusual for folk in our line of electrical work which has complexity and the detail often is crucial - both fascinating. Because it mattered so much that things were absolutely right all the time during my working life - and people could get hurt - I have relaxed a great deal in retirement. It's important through the EF to instill such thinking in the early career electro-technicians. I have gone off topic - OP sorry. Being nagged now to cook egg and chips.

Some devices are frequency critical, some are waveform critical, some are both, some are neither. The more we know about your device (e.g. make, model, power consumption) and how it is misbehaving, the better we can advise.

A transformer will give a pure sine wave output at the appropriate voltage but cannot alter the frequency. To do that needs some electronics, and how pure the result is depends on the type of electronics.

For low power devices, there are off-the-shelf units such as this:
Frequency-Precise 50Hz to 60Hz or 60Hz to 50Hz Converter - http://www.kensclockclinic.com/new-athena-50hz-60hz-60hz-50hz-converter/

Which takes in whatever you have locally, and puts out whatever you select. Sine wave output, although we don't know exactly how noisy or otherwise.

There's also the clumsy but economical method of running a 12VDC-to-120V AC 60Hz inverter from a 12V DC power supply unit. The earthing needs care as not all inverters are alike, some have DC connected to AC earth and/or neutral.

Let's see what the device is before making any more suggestions...

Reply to Pure sine wave step down transformers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock