Discuss Putting a Light Switch into a Junction Box in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So, I'm trying to replace a mess of a junction box and add my new outside light to it, using a 4 way junction box.

It originally had two flourescent strips lights, a Light Switch and the outdoor light on it. I can add all the lights to it and they work fine, but when I then add the light switch back on, it trips the fuse on the main fuse board and nothing then works.

I've tried wiring the switch in the wrong way (I know, it's wrong, but I tried anyway), and still nothing happened, and it tripped the fuse.

Can anyone give me some advice before I have to do the ultimate and give in to phone an electrician to sort it please?

it would appear that you have a black switched L confused with a N. then the switch puts a dead short across L and N. pics might help, but it may be necessary to call in a sparks to identify cables and connect correctly.

In that case Tel has probably nailed it. You will have a neutral to a switched live. Have you just matched all the colours together?

Take the single red and connect with the red of the switch cable in a new connector, the black of the switch is the Switch wire goes where the single red went

In that case Tel has probably nailed it. You will have a neutral to a switched live. Have you just matched all the colours together?
Yes, and then for the switch, I put them opposite and it still blew the fuse.
[automerge]1577627579[/automerge]
Take the single red and connect with the red of the switch cable in a new connector, the black of the switch is the Switch wire goes where the single red went
20191229_135217.jpg
Like this? Obviously with Earth wired in too...

View attachment 54914
The single red and the red in the switch cable go in a separate connector, the black from the switch goes in the connector you removed the single red from, REMEMBER SWITCH OFFBEFORE DOING ANYTHING

View attachment 54914

I would strongly recommend that you engage the services of an electrician to sort this out for you.
That is the wrong junction box for a start, never mind the numerous breaches of the wiring regulations.

The regulations exist to keep you safe from fire and electric shock, failing to comply could lead to serious injury or death. Whilst the statistics show that a very small number of people die each year, that is small comfort to the families of those few people.

You need a junction box with four sets of terminals.
I couldn't find one. That one pictured was from B and Q, and screwfix didn
I would strongly recommend that you engage the services of an electrician to sort this out for you.
That is the wrong junction box for a start, never mind the numerous breaches of the wiring regulations.

The regulations exist to keep you safe from fire and electric shock, failing to comply could lead to serious injury or death. Whilst the statistics show that a very small number of people die each year, that is small comfort to the families of those few people.
Yeah, thanks. I'm going to consult a friend who is an electrician. Just to be on the safe side. No use causing a fire or giving people a shock by using it either.

Yeah, thanks. I'm going to consult a friend who is an electrician. Just to be on the safe side. No use causing a fire or giving people a shock by using it either.
he'll sort that mess out in under an hour. if he's a friend, a bottle of his favorite whiskey would save the pain of getting your wallet out.

The original JB you have quoted is in fact a Ceiling Rose, used as a JB, you are probably looking in the wrong section.
The JB, if it is inaccessible needs to be maintenance free, so your best bet would be to employ an Electrician, messing with this could turn into a disaster.

The original JB you have quoted is in fact a Ceiling Rose, used as a JB, you are probably looking in the wrong section.
The JB, if it is inaccessible needs to be maintenance free, so your best bet would be to employ an Electrician, messing with this could turn into a disaster.
Well, that white one in the picture is a lot tidied and more organised than the atrocious box it was in originally. But, I concede an electrician for more support.

he'll sort that mess out in under an hour. if he's a friend, a bottle of his favorite whiskey would save the pain of getting your wallet out.
Yep I'll sort it for you for a bottle of Glenfiddich, where are you? A large bottle mind. none of yer half litre carp, mind you Laphroaigh would be my choice, more Peaty than The Glen stuff, and cheaper, so a save all round

Last edited:

Reply to Putting a Light Switch into a Junction Box in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net