Discuss Puzzling RCD Fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

spadxiii1918

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi, I need some advise or help on the following problem.
RCD failed trip test. Failed ramp test. and faield to trip out when Shorted between Earth and bus bar.
I had replaced the RCD with 3 other units, but still would not trip. (ELI 1.17 Ohms)3 lead test L N E and 2 lead test L-E (still no trip).
It did however trip from the supply meter tail side and earth
Power supplied by over head cables into loft to meter.
Replaced batteries to meter just to make sure
Any hep would bemuch appreciated.

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
S

sparkswillfly

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
try another meter or try that meter on another supply

Hi, I need some advise or help on the following problem.
RCD failed trip test. Failed ramp test. and faield to trip out when Shorted between Earth and bus bar.
I had replaced the RCD with 3 other units, but still would not trip. (ELI 1.17 Ohms)3 lead test L N E and 2 lead test L-E (still no trip).
It did however trip from the supply meter tail side and earth
Power supplied by over head cables into loft to meter.
Replaced batteries to meter just to make sure
Any hep would bemuch appreciated.
Could you clarify?

S

spadxiii1918

Used GS38 approved 2 pole tester to confirm polarity between earth and live on the supply side, RCD tripped out.

EddieB

-
Arms
The RCD cannot trip out on the feed side , I would advise you check the feed side and load side of the RCD are correct

A

Andy Smith

I agree with EddieB, sounds like a wiring issue.

B

Bazspark

I agree with both previous posts it could very well be something as simple as supply and load tails reversed, keep us posted on how you get on.

S

spadxiii1918

Hi Guys,
fault turned out to be no earth, although we had an original ELI of 1.17 ohms. When the bonding was disconnected along with the main earth and an ELI taken from the incoming tails and presumed earth conductor the ELI was over 700 ohms.

I take it that the RCD could not "See" any fault as no current or fault was being detected.

Thanks for all your help on this

Reply to Puzzling RCD Fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom