Discuss PV Guide. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hello all. The PDF makes no mention about MCS equipment or MCS installers required for connection to the grid? Should I publish more information for every one here?

Hello all

I am new to the world of PV and really looking forward to getting into it. Got the MCS accreditation last week :) One little practical issue though - I have to go out and spec a job. How do any of you measure the dimensions of a roof from the ground, as I will need to do later today.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Hi Mikeo,

We are a Solar PV wholesaler and we have a design programme that works everything out. It is difficult to measure it without a scaffold or a long ladder. The easiest way I would suggest is : 1. measure across the gable end wall and half it, 2. count the bricks up from the corner of the roof to the ridge of the roof. Each brick and mortar is 75mm, so will give you a height. You now have the width and the height.

If you draw the width to the centre of the gable and the line up for the height of the gable, this will give you the angle of the roof and the length of the slope, to work out how many panels you can get on. You can easily measure the length of the roof from the ground. You know have a rough idea of the roof size.

I hope I have explained this ok, let me know if I haven't

Regards
Mark
Solus Direct

Hi All
just starting to get into the PV game , a couple of guys I know have mentioned that WF wholsalers are supply the crimping tools MC3 and 4 etc does anybody know of a better supplier of these as the whole test kit including meters etc is in the £1500.00 plus bracket
thanks newbie

Try our forum sponsor test-meter.co.uk (and remember your 5% discount!) they have a range of starter kits at good prices

Hi sparks69,
We have a range of kits available for different budgets. I've already posted about MC3 / MC4 kits but here is is again for anyone that missed it: http://www.electriciansforums.net/photovoltaic-solar-panels-green-energy-forum/36781-solar-engineer-tool-kits-tmpv-series-test-meter-co-uk.html

I
f anyone is interested in distributing the TMPV kits, or has any feedback I'd be very interested to hear from you: [email protected] We can provide promotional material, high resolution images, branded PDF's and have good discounts available for quantity purchases.

Was reading alot of information out there, thank you for the guide attached. Does anyone have any guides for the relation of Isc and Voc values in PV systems??? i.e. why it is those values used for the selection of B.O.S equipment?

I also found the below as there wasn't much information about DC switches i found about apart from IMO on a few websites and some ABB information...

A NEW GUIDE TO PV SWITCH DISCONNECTORS NOW AVAILABLE

cheers

Dave

Was reading alot of information out there, thank you for the guide attached. Does anyone have any guides for the relation of Isc and Voc values in PV systems??? i.e. why it is those values used for the selection of B.O.S equipment?

Not sure I understand your question.

Any grid-tie inverter has a range of I and V that it has been designed to handle and so needs to be selected to match whatever the panels (strings) can produce. Most inverter manufacturers have software available that does this matching for you.

I guess what i'm getting at is that if we are rating equipment for on-load use, why are we selecting on currents at no-volt Isc and voltage with negliable current Voc?

Is this mainly for systems without fault protection so the switch can be used to clear the fault when opening, and to ensure that the cabling etc is rated to continuously carry fault currents on-load?

Regards

Dave

Reply to PV Guide. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net