Discuss Pv install in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R & S

-
Reaction score
Hi I'm new on here I don't do Pv installs, but have been asked to clean up 3 DB's which has to be messiest install I have ever seen. I have not been to property yet just received pictures tonight. I'm just need confirmation of layout of Pv before going to have a look all the other ones I have worked on have not been like this. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Pv install ima - EletriciansForums.net

Hmm...a bit messy!

There should be an AC cable running from the inverter. We would normally run it to the AC isolator, thru the generation meter and to an MCB either in a dedicated board (as here) or in a spare way in the main board. If the PV generation meter is clocking up correctly, you shouldn't need to touch it. If you do, pay close attention to the wiring inside as it's possible to wire it up the wrong way round and the PV system will work without the meter clocking up.

The top box is a V-Phase voltage optimisation unit. It may have been fitted as part of the PV install. You should find the voltage on many circuits is around 220v (test a plug socket somewhere before you start). It's worth keeping now that the householder has invested in it. The V-Phase company is no longer trading but you'll find the instructions online or maybe the householder has them.

The lowest Wylex garage board should contain a 16A or 20A MCB (assuming it's a regular 4kW or smaller domestic installation). If you're going to upgrade to a metal 17th edition board, you could include the PV circuit on the non-RCD side. This may remove some tails and a Henley block from the equation. You could also move the V-Phase MCB into the new board.

Hi thanks a lot, just was not sure why only top DB was though optimisation unit. So if I leave all Pv alone I just have to put new DB on tails from optimisation unit with all old circuits in and tidy up
Cheers

What does the twin and earth large cable with taped up end from the two top Henley blocks feed?
The whole thing looks a lot more complex than it is due to the expanded nature over time.
Pull it all out (except the PV stuff) and simplify and it should be fine.

the v phase VO unit can only handle something like 16 or 20A, which will be why only certain parts of the system will run through it.

tbh you could probably rip it out for all the good it will probably be doing..... ;)

Hi thanks for info, so VO unit won't take all circuits then. If I remove it can I remove v phase DB1 then .

Reply to Pv install in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock