Discuss PV Off grid setup getting a grid connection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just hoping to pick someones brain here:
Customer has an existing off grid PV install to a barn
He is now building a house on the site (this will include a fast EV charge point)
He has a 3 phase grid supply available, with the intention of running/ exporting the barn on one phase. the house on another, & the car charger from the other.
The idea is to use any exess energy from the barn first to offset any demand from the house & charger. I understand that if this was a single phase install, the import/export is straightforward.
He's trying to get a defintive answer to this:
Is there any financial advantage feeding the house on the same phase as the barn, or is irrelevant if he were to use the 3 phases via his shiny new smart meter?

Not really sure of the issue you are raising but at 10KW you could get a TP invertor, use a TP car charger and just let the PV go where the load is regardless of who needs it. In terms of import and export, provided your Smart meter can give an export KWh reading i cannot see an issue. If you want the EV to only charge when the sun is shining thats a slightly different issue but all doable subject to usual limitations of signals, cables, Cts and the like

Not really sure of the issue you are raising but at 10KW you could get a TP invertor, use a TP car charger and just let the PV go where the load is regardless of who needs it. In terms of import and export, provided your Smart meter can give an export KWh reading i cannot see an issue. If you want the EV to only charge when the sun is shining thats a slightly different issue but all doable subject to usual limitations of signals, cables, Cts and the like
The existing PV is at a remote building, a single phase sub is being installed for this

Import is around 30p/Kwh, export around 3p/Kwh, if you feed in on L1 and consume on L2, L3 its largely gone.

A TP inverter usually deals with this.

What you can do is hold as much in the battery as possible but TBH you will be feeding in as the inverters are engineered to just get rid of the power and there will be a limit on the battery charging somewhere.

Needs a bit of engineering to get this to work optimally, good luck

Import is around 30p/Kwh, export around 3p/Kwh, if you feed in on L1 and consume on L2, L3 its largely gone.

A TP inverter usually deals with this.

What you can do is hold as much in the battery as possible but TBH you will be feeding in as the inverters are engineered to just get rid of the power and there will be a limit on the battery charging somewhere.

Needs a bit of engineering to get this to work optimally, good luck
Thanks, Octopus have told him, he will be on 19p/Kwh. The charge cntroller is a Victron Quattro, not that I'll be dealing with it, I do believe they can be set up using their software.

Reply to PV Off grid setup getting a grid connection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock