Discuss PV on flat roof in conservation area in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

solarcat

Hello,

has any one had any experience with a flat roof within a conservation area? The roof has a 300mm parapet and the panels would be about 500mm at their highest point, but as they would be installed more than 1 m away from the parapet and the building is quite high, they would not be visible from any highway.

Council keeps saying we need to apply for planning. If you know of any evidence that I don't need planning..much appreciated!

If it is a roof mounted system (less than 200mm off roof) you are allowed to install under permitted rights.
In a conservation area, the rule is ;if it is visible from a main highway (can not seem to get clarification on what a main highway is though) you need planning.
Because you will be higher than 200mm off the roof you would need planning conservation area or not.
That is my understanding and I hope this helps.

Agree with Earthstore. Normally you wouldn't need planning for an install on a roof in a conservation area whether visible from the road or not (the original Permitted Development rules on this got changed).

But breaking the 200mm rule means you would need planning.

Thx Earthstore and TedM. Does the parapet count for the 200mm rule? If, say, we do so that the pales are less than 200mm higher than the parapet, would that be alright?

solarcat;459134 If said:
Not meaning to sound rude, but you could say if you only go 200mm above the chimney it would be OK (if you see what I mean), the roof is the roof.
If you think you could get away with it, you could fit them, then if there is a problem go for retrospective planning, but that carries a risk, and if you have already brought it to the attention of the planners it may not be a good idea.
Not knowing the exact area/ neighbors etc it is difficult to advise really,
Personally, if there is any risk, I explain it to the customer and let them decide.
I hope this helps

You should read the regulations directly so you understand them. There are x2 relevant elements here in connection with permitted development:

- the array must be within 200mm of the plane of the roof
- the array must not be above the ridge

Now that is aimed at sloping roofs, but translates to a flat roof OK. The flat roof surface is the plane of the roof. The top of the parapet could be regarded as the ridge. Note that in defining the ridge height they do not allow you to consider the occasional bump or chimney. It is worth reading so you can be authoritative in any discussion.

From what you have said you are likely to need planning permission.

Regards
Bruce

I put a 4kw roof on my folks garage. there's is a listed building (although the garage isn't listed it comes under the houses listing) and in a conservation area. The house roof probably wouldn't take the weight of a fat pigeon so we had to go for the garage.

The planning was, frankly, a nightmare. not least because the planning officer knew nothing about PV. The application was rejected by him, but then got passed on appeal.
A lot depends on the individual plannig officer, and this one was a complete egotistical axxx.

we needed architects drawings and all sorts.

Part of what finally got it through was that we mounted the panels landscape at 25degrees so they weren't that intrusive.
Even though, as earth store says, permitted development rights may be applicable a planner can still retrospectively tell you to remove the panels if they beleieve it is making a negative impact on the visual appeal of the area. Somewhere on this forum is a thread about that happening in london and it wasn't even a conservation area.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to PV on flat roof in conservation area in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock