Discuss Pv Panels Moved in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AndrewMgan1976

I had a panel install done about 18 months ago and i stupidly said it was ok for them to cover the window (only access point to the roof from indoors), but now i know i have made a mistake and I'm looking for a rough ball park figure for the 6 panels to be moved probably about 1m along to enable the window to open.

Will a scaffold be needed to do it safely? If so and if space permits, it might work out cheaper to add a whole new Velux window as that can sometimes be done from the inside.

Cheers for the responses, Spinlondon, it would be the 3rd in a row of 8 which would be required to be moved.

Whinmoor, depends on how dodgy the person is who does it, i wouldn't do it without a scaffold personally.

Then I reckon you're looking at the best part of a grand - depends on the complexity of the scaffold. An electrician would need to be on-site as the cables might need lengthening or shortening or re-routing. Some of the clamps would need changing if you're creating a row of 2 and a row of 6. And you'd need the rails to be cut but they might not be long enough to accommodate the extra clamps if they've already been trimmed to size.

Why not get your installer back to see how much they might charge?

As stated, you could probably get this (or similar) fitted for considerably less if there's space elsewhere on the roof:

Pine Centre Pivot Roof Window (H)780mm (W)550mm | Departments | DIY at B&Q

I wouldn't really accept this from the company in the first place.

When they visited you they specced up a system that was meant to fit your roof right?

But when they turn up to install it.... You've been oversold and they can't fit the system that their surveyor specced up in the first place?

Do you have a room in your roof? If so that's a fire exit as well right?

Thanks for the reply, there is sufficient space on the roof for the system even with the roof light alteration, there is enough space for another 2 panels. It was my fault, i made a wrong call.

No there is no room in the loft.

Reply to Pv Panels Moved in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net