Discuss PV Storage System - "Grid Buddy" ( Battery backup & Grid failures ) in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Nope, however seeing that the 'Hot Water Buddy' is an ImmerSun, I'd guess they are rebadging something

Nope, however seeing that the 'Hot Water Buddy' is an ImmerSun, I'd guess they are rebadging something

A quick google search threw up a post in another forum (from March last year), noting a startling similarity (apart from colour) with these units: MultiPlus 800VA - 5kVA - Victron Energy

It look like it is an alternative to SMA Sunny Backup. However, I thought there was some issue with the SMA solution that the isolation switch (to ensure that power doesn't flow out to the grid during a grid failure) wasn't certified for UK use. I assume the Grid Buddy isolation switch is properly certified?

Also how much are the batteries, and how long do they last? I got the impression that any payback time in terms of electricity savings would be offset by the need to replace the batteries possibly even before you'd recouped your investment - i.e. these were a luxury to avoid power-cuts rather than a money saving investment, and not necessarily a green investment depending on how you disposed of end of life batteries.

Matthew

According to the Victron website CCL are a distributor - I'd give them a call first.. The rest are boat people / marinas / chandlers

an interesting comment from elsewhere:
"Is it not true that the battery that can store over its lifetime, more power (in £ terms) than its own cost, has yet to be invented?"

I haven't done the math myself yet, though that would be a great sales argument against this type of product!

Last edited:

Reply to PV Storage System - "Grid Buddy" ( Battery backup & Grid failures ) in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net