Discuss Pvc external in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
What’s all this recent piffle,you can’t use pvc t&e externally.
you can see this cable years old @ least 30 years old,no sign off damage whatsoever.E0CF18BA-B61D-49A8-94A9-F8C05E590249.jpeg

you can see this cable years old @ least 30 years old,no sign off damage whatsoever.View attachment 52839
Agree in principle Mate, but the real test of the cable's condition will be if you have to alter or move the cable, I have seen it crumble and crack if you try and move it for other works, but can see your point to some degree, an interesting thread for sure. Love those buckle clips, brings back memories of making up a handful with pins to hand to the Sparky I was helping at the time.

Swa has a pvc outer cover.
But the carbon black helps with UV protection

As Pete rightly says , it looks absolutely fine when left completely untouched.
But if you try to move it or bend it , more often than not the outer sheath will split and crack.
I guess much will depend on how much UV exposure the cable is subjected to e.g in direct sunlight or clipped under a soffit

Like any rules and regs it's to cover all situations.

The reg couldn't read use outside except where U.V exceeds a particular level for a defined number of hrs per day.
Or the ambient temperature is below a certain temperature for a given number of days.

Some some installs may be perfectly fine for 50 years, others may fail in 10.

It's also possible the environmental conditions may have compromised it beyond what is immediately visually apparent. Hypothetical, but it would be interesting to compare IR on it at say five year intervals of its 30 year life. Also, taking @Dustydazzler's point, if someone were to rest say a set of steps or materials against it, would the insulation easily break and crumble?

I have seen old T&E installed outside in perfect condition after many decades. I have also seen it sat in full sun, degraded, cracked, and absolutely knackered.
Depends really.

It's also possible the environmental conditions may have compromised it beyond what is immediately visually apparent. Hypothetical, but it would be interesting to compare IR on it at say five year intervals of its 30 year life. Also, taking @Dustydazzler's point, if someone were to rest say a set of steps or materials against it, would the insulation easily break and crumble?
No honestly I’ve actually felt it,it’s fine

you can see this cable years old @ least 30 years old,no sign off damage whatsoever.View attachment 52839
that's either a huge cannabis or Triffid behind the window, or a reflection of a large tree. if the latter, it's probably why the cable has not seen any sunlight.

Reply to Pvc external in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net