Discuss Pvc flex underground in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all just been to a job where a builder has started a job and left them in the lurch, they have run a 1.5mm flexible cable in a pvc pipe underneath a patio which then comes out through a wall for drive way lighting the run is 5metres, personally I would have done this in swa as In my opinion there is more protection on offer! as the patio is already down they have called me in to connect the lights, im just wanting some advice requarding pvc pipe and running flex underground, what are the regs on this & is there a sufficent cable or specific piping needed for this? Cheers
[automerge]1596463742[/automerge]
Hi all just been to a job where a builder has started a job and left them in the lurch, they have run a 1.5mm flexible cable in a pvc pipe underneath a patio which then comes out through a wall for drive way lighting the run is 5metres, personally I would have done this in swa as In my opinion there is more protection on offer! as the patio is already down they have called me in to connect the lights, im just wanting some advice requarding pvc pipe and running flex underground, what are the regs on this & is there a sufficent cable or specific piping needed for this? Cheers
Am I right in saying they should of used THWN Cable thermal heat and waterproof.
[automerge]1596464026[/automerge]
Am I right in saying they should of used THWN Cable thermal heat and waterproof. Buried at 18 inches deep.

Last edited:
Maybe that’s all they had to hand, I prefer a heavy duty string or light rope when leaving a draw wire in ducting :sweatsmile:

However, if it is indeed protected end to end in a duct then pvc is ok

18 inches deep doesn't matter if it's under a concrete or hard surface patio.
It's not likely to suffer thermal damage underground.

What sort of pipe is it? Check the regulations for type of ducting which is suitable for protecting non-armoured cables underground, there is an EN standard that it must comply with.

If the pipe does not comply with this standard then it would need to be a cable with suitable earthed metallic sheath or armour.
[automerge]1596472151[/automerge]
However, if it is indeed protected end to end in a duct then pvc is ok

Only if it is the correct type of duct.

agreed, but i was just about to go in to a meeting and didnt have time to look up the number

What sort of pipe is it? Check the regulations for type of ducting which is suitable for protecting non-armoured cables underground, there is an EN standard that it must comply with.

If the pipe does not comply with this standard then it would need to be a cable with suitable earthed metallic sheath or armour.
[automerge]1596472151[/automerge]

On checking the cable duct does comply, im just wondering the reg on how deep, I was always taught 18 inches but its under a solid patio

On checking the cable duct does comply, im just wondering the reg on how deep, I was always taught 18 inches but its under a solid patio

Are you saying the builder has managed to find and install an appropriate duct? I'm amazed, and if they have then you should be able to pull a more suitable cable in to it.

Are you saying the builder has managed to find and install an appropriate duct? I'm amazed, and if they have then you should be able to pull a more suitable cable in to it.
Yes the duct is spot on ?? the cable used is fine on taking specific factors in account, personally if the customer agrees I would like to run swa, The rule of thumb ive always used id a cable should be buried a spade and half deep arpund 18inches however because its a fixed surface people are saying otherwise?

Reply to Pvc flex underground in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net