Discuss Pyro is...? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Inspired by a couple of threads I was just reading - what do YOU think of MICC / MIMS / 'Pyro'?

I think its a amazing system but seen as I have not made one off in 7 or 8 years think its not as common in normal situations anymore.
Obviously still has its uses but none I am ever likely to be involved with (Petrol stations etc)

I think its a amazing system but seen as I have not made one off in 7 or 8 years think its not as common in normal situations anymore.
Obviously still has its uses but none I am ever likely to be involved with (Petrol stations etc)

wish I could use it frequently, love looking at previous mic installs and how neat they can be. Never touched it since college :(

Wasn't even spec'd in the few petrol stations I worked on!

I liked doing mi.
it was good if you had a nice bit of tray to run it on and dress it neatly.
an absolute James in an old lath and plaster building trying to conceal it under floors and down walls though .there is about 60 metres of orange 2l2.5 in my shed that I got for a job in a school 2 years ago.knocking on the door of 300 quid for a drum of 100m!
it looks a lot better than fp when clipped direct IMO
there is a knack to doing it right.
sadly I must be one of them old sparks that can make an end off without getting into a paddy .

Haha wasn't me.
probably does take 3 men 4 days now tho tel sadly

Can't make my mind up between 1 and 2 because I feel it is not only for high spec jobs. Although, some of our 70/80's jobs in school and factory boiler houses, laboratories, fire stations, etc, really were high spec.

Up until about 5 years ago, still doing some for local authority outside lighting systems. Wouldn't call that high spec, but ideal for the job and I'll bet they're still in operation when the buidings come down. Work seems to have dried up these days, though.

I've not done it since college! I'd just download the instructions, have a read and crack on! I do remember doing it, but I ain't got the potting tools ect. I remember making a stripper from a round bar, but I'm sure a set of long nosed pliers would do!

Brilliant cable. Only use for good contracts were the client understands the quality of the cable. Pain in arse to terminate, piece of art when done properly.

Really wish I'd have had a mobile phone with camera to bring back some memories.......and show off a bit. lol.:4: :sad3:

Yes I've been wondering why I can't find many pics of our installs, then realised that they would be mostly be real photos not digital ones, which aren't here at the mo. Anyone remember 'The Electrician's Mate' - a kind of MI user's OSG from the imperial era? I'm nowhere near old enough to have installed imperial cable the first time round but some of the pics in there are quite reminiscent.

Pyro is...? Electrician's Mate cover - EletriciansForums.netPyro is...? Electrician's Mate panel wirin - EletriciansForums.net

i'm not a fan, barely touched it apart from at the start of my first appreticeship. if I used it more, i would probably like it, but that aint going to happen in the current circumstances!

It's probably just too costly vs other wiring methods these days.
some of the old guys I worked with worked at dounreay nuclear station for a while.
they would slag of my apprentice attempts at terminating mi and regale me with stories of 19 core imperial mi cables
with 2metre tails for panels etc.
try putting the seal on that sonny!

It's probably just too costly vs other wiring methods these days.
some of the old guys I worked with worked at dounreay nuclear station for a while.
they would slag of my apprentice attempts at terminating mi and regale me with stories of 19 core imperial mi cables
with 2metre tails for panels etc.
try putting the seal on that sonny!

Try getting the disc on. 'Keep 'em straight lad and keep yer hands off 'em'

Same as most I've not done any since college, just remember having to be pretty quick with the tools due to moisture being absorbed

Reply to Pyro is...? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock