Discuss Q for anyone with a fluke 165x in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Been having probs with it the last couple of weeks so after a second opinion, the batteries have been running flat. I assumed I'd left it on and killed them so got some expensive new rechargable Ni-MH batteries for it. Fully charged the self test showed 8v (obviously). The next morning it reads 7.2V (without the unit being used in between). Next day it reads 7.0V and then that evening it wouldn't turn on again. I fully recharged again yesterday and after 2 uses the batteries were still fine, then this morning it's on 6.2V. It doesn't seem to be the tests draining it, more something when it's turned off.

Any ideas what could be draining this? It's definitely not being left on each time as I've been very careful, even leaving it out of the box so the button couldn't get knocked. This is my second 1652 in as many weeks so I'm not very impressed!!! If anyone has one of these how long do you batteries last?

Hope it's not a return to fluke problem :(

Where you storing the tester, cold can zap batteries, try taking the batteries out and leaving them next to the tester overnight and see if there losing power that way?

Been having probs with it the last couple of weeks so after a second opinion, the batteries have been running flat. I assumed I'd left it on and killed them so got some expensive new rechargable Ni-MH batteries for it. Fully charged the self test showed 8v (obviously). The next morning it reads 7.2V (without the unit being used in between). Next day it reads 7.0V and then that evening it wouldn't turn on again. I fully recharged again yesterday and after 2 uses the batteries were still fine, then this morning it's on 6.2V. It doesn't seem to be the tests draining it, more something when it's turned off.

Any ideas what could be draining this? It's definitely not being left on each time as I've been very careful, even leaving it out of the box so the button couldn't get knocked. This is my second 1652 in as many weeks so I'm not very impressed!!! If anyone has one of these how long do you batteries last?

Hope it's not a return to fluke problem :(

Return it and buy a Megger MFT

My Fluke 1653 does this also, every time I use it I have to recharge the batteries.
So is this just the odd Fluke doing this or is it a common problem :confused:

oldskoolbeat - I've completed the online RMA for Fluke but have just emailed them to ask if there are any known issues as don't really want to have to send it off and do without for any length of time (haven't got another tester). I'll let you know what they say.

What batteries are you using btw? It can't be something daft to do with rechargables can it? Doesn't say anything in the manual. I'm using NI-MH (pretty decent quality) 2300mAh, although I'm sure it ran it's first set of alkalines flat over a few days aswell

Last edited:
oldskoolbeat - I've completed the online RMA for Fluke but have just emailed them to ask if there are any known issues as don't really want to have to send it off and do without for any length of time (haven't got another tester). I'll let you know what they say.

What batteries are you using btw? It can't be something daft to do with rechargables can it? Doesn't say anything in the manual. I'm using NI-MH (pretty decent quality) 2300mAh, although I'm sure it ran it's first set of alkalines flat over a few days aswell

Cornburn I know with the Megger instructions its says not to use rechargables so it maybe in there somewhere with your Fluke?

Hi Cornburn, would be good to know how you get on thanks.

I was using normal batteries and got to the point that after use I was taking the batteries out every time.

Got rechargeables now and they go flat every time :(
Maplins NI-MH 2600mAh I think, aint got them with me at the mo'

Had the tester nearly 2 years now and still looks like new so not ill treated or anything :confused:

Well I've spoken to the service department and asked if there's anything I can try before returning and they've said no, it sounds faulty. It's going back in a couple of days and there's a 3 day turnaround so hopefully next week I'll know what was up.

Reply to Q for anyone with a fluke 165x in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock