Discuss QS rates and tendering websites in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TJC1

-
Reaction score
Morning all.

Two separate questions if you could help.

1. My boss has asked me to become QS aswell as himself. Are any of you in the same boat? and did you ask/get a pay rise for it?

2. Does anyone use tendering websites? Been looking into them but sure on them....

Yes I got asked to be QS and immediately stipulated that I shall be on a higher rate to that of the other lads (hourly rather than by any bonus/price work)
It’s only right as you are supervising their work and signing of certificates and reports, otherwise where is the incentive?

Well the OP's second question was about tendering web sites, which are bread and butter to Quantity Surveyors, but then how do you become a "Qualified Supervisor", or then again a "Quality Supervisor" take your pick.

Well the OP's second question was about tendering web sites, which are bread and butter to Quantity Surveyors, but then how do you become a "Qualified Supervisor", or then again a "Quality Supervisor" take your pick.
A quantity Surveyor is not something you can just "become" it's a profession you train for, my Dad and Brother were Quantity Surveyors, still like most things these days a 5 or 6 week course should cover the essential attributes of being a Quantity Surveyor.:tongue:

Agreed to become a "Qualified" QS can take a long time, but to measure work done and multiply the quantity by the rate in the "Bill of Quantities" does not take a lot of training.

Why so? What else do you think the OP is being asked to do?

Because you describe the role of quantity surveyor as simply a multiplication. I'm sure there's a bit more to it than that.

And in any case, I assume the OP was asking about becoming a Qualified Supervisor rather than a quantity surveyor.

Why so? What else do you think the OP is being asked to do?
Get the distinct impression that the OP is being asked to be a QUALITY SUPERVISOR or QS bills of quantities will not be in his remit, his remit will be checking lesser qualified Electrical Operative's work and also checking completed certificates and records, a thankless task I should imagine, because lots of companies, have far to many operatives and not enough QSs, never having been one this is my overall impression from talking to a chap who has been a QS and often told ne of his woes, he is now well out of it if you ask me.

A quantity Surveyor is not something you can just "become" it's a profession you train for, my Dad and Brother were Quantity Surveyors, still like most things these days a 5 or 6 week course should cover the essential attributes of being a Quantity Surveyor.:tongue:

Oh behave - A QS is just about using a calculator. Anyone who quotes jobs and invoices is basically a quantity surveyor.

Oh behave - A QS is just about using a calculator. Anyone who quotes jobs and invoices is basically a quantity surveyor.
Good job my Old Man is no longer with us he would be frothing at the mouth, and spitting pencils, over that comment essex.:mad::)

Last edited:

Reply to QS rates and tendering websites in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net