Discuss Qualification Advise Wanted Please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

PACMAN

Hi

I would like some advice on City & Guilds 2397 level 3 course. In 2012 I went for a career change intending become an electrician. After intensive research I knew the best route was an apprenticeship. I was 34 I knew it would be hard to get an apprenticeship. With out that I could not go down the NVQ route. My only option at the time was the City &Guilds 2330 level 2.

I enrolled on this course at college on September . The college told me it would be a 2 year course, 1 year for level 2 and 1 year for level 3. Towards near the end of the level 2. We were told that the 2330 is no longer available and has been replaced with a new course,City &Guilds 2365. But this would not be a 1 year course it would be a 2 year course and the cost of this was around £3800. My intentions were always to just be a self employed domestic installer.

I spoke with the head of electrical department, I told him that I was only interested in becoming a self employed domestic installer.I asked him if I did my 17 edition and my inspection and test and work with someone for the practical skills needed then go self employed would this be enough, he told me that I needed a level 2 which I had and the level 3 then with the level 3 Icould do my 17[SUP]th[/SUP] edition then my inspection and test.

I done some research online and found out this was not thecase. There were company’s advertising domestic installer courses that said after the course you could become a qualified domestic installer. Consisting of there own domestic course. a 2393 part p qualification, 2392-10 inspection and test & a 2382-12 17 edition.

After more research I found out that City & Guilds were bringing out a new course aimed for domestic installers. A 2397 level 3. This was a new course that they were bringing out forthose who wanted to become a domestic installer. Here is the link to it

http://cdn.cityandguilds.com/ProductDocuments/Building_Services_Industry/Electrical_Installation/2397/2397_Level_3/Centre_documents/2397-30-31_L3_Award_Certificate_Qualification_Handbook_v1.pdf

I am in a situation where I need to finish off my qualifications. The 2397-03 seems like agood course for me, but I do not know much about it. Has anyone done this course that could please give me some feedback on it. The course only gives you 1 qualification so it would not give me a individual 17 edition or a inspection and testing qualification. I'm not sure if this is a down side.

Could some one please shed some light on this as I am desperate to finishing off my qualifications that I need. I am looking to start work as an electricians mate ASAP.

I know to become a fully qualified electrician I need the NVQ. But I am just looking for the rite course for me to become a qualified domestic installer.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pacman, I remember you from the 80s.

Looks like you have been and will continue to be ripped off.

A lot of us on here wont bother to read such long posts, i did but wasnt going to.

Regarding your last paragraph, you would only be an electrician if you do an apprenticeship.

Boydy

Hi Pacman, unless you achieve the NVQ 3 you won't be able to gain employment as an electrician! Going back to college is the best option. Try and get some work as a mate and gain some valuable experience along the way....

There is no such thing as a Domestic installer. You are either a qualified electrician or not, go down the electricians mate route and go to college on evenings over a couple of years and learn properly.

There is no such thing as a Domestic installer. You are either a qualified electrician or not, go down the electricians mate route and go to college on evenings over a couple of years and learn properly.

this domestic installer term has gone too far now lol. It's like a disease.

OP i've done the 2330 l 2 and l3 ... can't remember now, but they were definitley longer than a year each....you've misread what your tutor has said to you, they had changed the system you were working too...if you'd carried on you'd have been on course for the 2365, the work hadn't changed....just the titles of the qualifcations, because C+G like to confuse people...wouldn't the 2365 also of including the AM2 and incoporated the NVQl3...hense the additional cost? Correct me if im wrong....

Your a mug if you go down the domestic installer route, sorry to sound blunt but it's true. They're parasites that'll hopefully one day be rid of.

originally I think the 2330 courses were 2 years for l2 and 2 years for l3. But most colleges were delivering the courses in 1 year A level. I thought the 2330 was a great course, and I am glad I did it in college rather then a fast track option with a company. I think i paid £1600 for the course. The level 3 was going to be the same, but as it was changed to a 2365 2 or 3 new units had been added and the college decided to deliver it in 2 years, the cost was £1800 x 2. If I do the level 3.then all the modules Will cross over if I wanted to do the nvq. I Would have to do a bridging course after to get the nvq. Which is half based in the class room and half at site, so I would need to be employed by a company or nvq qualified electrician who would be willing for me to do this.

People are quick to say..don't bother trying to be an electrcian unless you do an apprenticeship. If I was under 25 then yess I agree. But what route does someone take in a career change who is over 25 and cant get an apprenticeship??

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mate think the new C&G qual your referring to is what they now have decided is needed for someone such as yourself to register with one of the governing bodies

Its fairly new so I dont know much about it up until recently you only needed the 2382-12 to register with a governing body to carry out work in domestic properties which was nowhere near enough as its basically a qual that taches you how to read the regs

a testing qual would help but as others have said

College is the only route if you want to be a fully qualified electrician at some point and would include a NVQ lv3 if you ever want to be registered with JIB as a electrician

Have you visited the C&G website and looked the qualification number up this should tell you more about it
What is the name of the course provider who is delivering this qual
I think there is also a EAL qualification you can do but C&G are jsut about more respected but they change the numbers of the quals like the wind

good luck mate its not easy but if you persist you will achieve

Hi

I would like some advice on City & Guilds 2397 level 3 course. In 2012 I went for a career change intending become an electrician. After intensive research I knew the best route was an apprenticeship. I was 34 I knew it would be hard to get an apprenticeship. With out that I could not go down the NVQ route. My only option at the time was the City &Guilds 2330 level 2.

I enrolled on this course at college on September . The college told me it would be a 2 year course, 1 year for level 2 and 1 year for level 3. Towards near the end of the level 2. We were told that the 2330 is no longer available and has been replaced with a new course,City &Guilds 2365. But this would not be a 1 year course it would be a 2 year course and the cost of this was around £3800. My intentions were always to just be a self employed domestic installer.

I spoke with the head of electrical department, I told him that I was only interested in becoming a self employed domestic installer.I asked him if I did my 17 edition and my inspection and test and work with someone for the practical skills needed then go self employed would this be enough, he told me that I needed a level 2 which I had and the level 3 then with the level 3 Icould do my 17[SUP]th[/SUP] edition then my inspection and test.

I done some research online and found out this was not thecase. There were company’s advertising domestic installer courses that said after the course you could become a qualified domestic installer. Consisting of there own domestic course. a 2393 part p qualification, 2392-10 inspection and test & a 2382-12 17 edition.

After more research I found out that City & Guilds were bringing out a new course aimed for domestic installers. A 2397 level 3. This was a new course that they were bringing out forthose who wanted to become a domestic installer. Here is the link to it

http://cdn.cityandguilds.com/ProductDocuments/Building_Services_Industry/Electrical_Installation/2397/2397_Level_3/Centre_documents/2397-30-31_L3_Award_Certificate_Qualification_Handbook_v1.pdf

I am in a situation where I need to finish off my qualifications. The 2397-03 seems like agood course for me, but I do not know much about it. Has anyone done this course that could please give me some feedback on it. The course only gives you 1 qualification so it would not give me a individual 17 edition or a inspection and testing qualification. I'm not sure if this is a down side.

Could some one please shed some light on this as I am desperate to finishing off my qualifications that I need. I am looking to start work as an electricians mate ASAP.

I know to become a fully qualified electrician I need the NVQ. But I am just looking for the rite course for me to become a qualified domestic installer.

Thanks
was this a wise move?

aim low...hit low..

dont stoop low...

Reply to Qualification Advise Wanted Please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net