Discuss qualification help, in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
HI All, Sorry if this has been asked before, ive has a look and cant seem to find my answer.

I am 37 and ive been made redundant, i have had a nice settlement which will enable me to retrain in another field and i want to go self employed. initially i am going to work with another electrician to gain experience and i will be initially focusing on domestic only. My question is though around the qualifications, there are just so many. The course i was looking at gives me the following:
  • City & Guilds – Fundamental Foundations Electrical Principles & Practices (MOD1)
  • City & Guilds – Electrical Installation Practices for Domestic Dwellings (MOD2)
  • City & Guilds 2377-22 Portable Appliance Testing
  • City & Guilds 2382-18 18th Edition Wiring Regulations
  • City & Guilds 2393 level 3 – Building Regulations
  • City & Guilds 2392-10 level 2 – Fundamental Inspection & Testing
  • City & Guilds 2391-52 level 3 – Inspection and Testing
The course provider says this will be enough for me to perform all domestic duties and inspection and testing and eventually register with a domestic install scheme so i can sign off my own work. Is this correct?
I keep seeing C&G 2365 level 2 and 3 everywhere and dont understand if i need that also?

Additionally if i went down the initial route i mentioned, what would i need on top of that to enable me to work on commercial properties and 3 phase cables?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Note: you don’t give Your location. Different rules apply in NI and McNicolaLand.
To focus on domestic means that you will need to be a member of one of the Competent Person Schemes. Otherwise you’ll not be able to do work such as new consumer units, new circuits or in bathrooms etc.

Have a look at the various schemes - NICEIC, NAPIT, etc and have a look at the quals you need to get on the CPS roundabout. That may change your training priorities.
Good luck.

Note: you don’t give Your location. Different rules apply in NI and McNicolaLand.
To focus on domestic means that you will need to be a member of one of the Competent Person Schemes. Otherwise you’ll not be able to do work such as new consumer units, new circuits or in bathrooms etc.

Have a look at the various schemes - NICEIC, NAPIT, etc and have a look at the quals you need to get on the CPS roundabout. That may change your training priorities.
Good luck.

Hi Sorry im based in england, west mids.

My apologies and i dont mean to doubt you but are you sure you are correct in what you are saying? My research seems to indicate that i wouldnt need to register for a competent person scheme and more the domestic installer scheme and even then the only benefit is that they contact the local authority for notifiable work rather than me. I was under the impression i was still able to undertake the work though even without this id just have to notify the local authority myself etc.

not strictly true that. you can do consumer unit changes but you will have to notify building control so you will have add their fees into your customer's quote. Ive just done my own rewire and using this as a job that can be assessed by my chosen scheme. there are some schemes that dont want to see x amount of years experience, they just want to look at your work ;)

Hi Sorry im based in england, west mids.

My apologies and i dont mean to doubt you but are you sure you are correct in what you are saying? My research seems to indicate that i wouldnt need to register for a competent person scheme and more the domestic installer scheme and even then the only benefit is that they contact the local authority for notifiable work rather than me. I was under the impression i was still able to undertake the work though even without this id just have to notify the local authority myself etc.

A domestic installer scheme is a competent person scheme.

Competence cannot be given to you through qualification solely, regardless of what training centres or schemes tell you, but also requires experience and practical training. How much of this will you gain through the course you are looking at ?

not strictly true that. you can do consumer unit changes but you will have to notify building control so you will have add their fees into your customer's quote. Ive just done my own rewire and using this as a job that can be assessed by my chosen scheme. there are some schemes that dont want to see x amount of years experience, they just want to look at your work ;)

Thanks mate, i thought that was the case. Ive checked NIC and they just want to see the relevent quals and then examples of work. What quals do you have if you dont mind me asking. I just dont understand the difference between what i will gain in the above and say a nvq. I do eventually want to progress to be able to install in commercial, this is where im getting a bit stuck
[automerge]1575893651[/automerge]
A domestic installer scheme is a competent person scheme.

Competence cannot be given to you through qualification solely, regardless of what training centres or schemes tell you, but also requires experience and practical training. How much of this will you gain through the course you are looking at ?

Thanks Andy, i got confused as in the NIC site they are listed separate. The course gives 8 weeks training which i know isnt much but i will then be working along side 2 fully qualified electricians for the foreseeable future till im confident to go it alone and until then they will inspect and sign off my notifiable work.

Thanks Andy, i got confused as in the NIC site they are listed separate. The course gives 8 weeks training which i know isnt much but i will then be working along side 2 fully qualified electricians for the foreseeable future till im confident to go it alone and until then they will inspect and sign off my notifiable work.

You are correct, 8 weeks training is hardly any time at all especially if split between practical and theory.

Something to consider is that the course you have chosen is a collection of add on courses and modules aimed at people like yourself to convince them that is all they will need.
A proper course, 2365 currently I think, would offer better value for money in the long run as it would give you a better understanding of the job and theory. It would also be more readily recognised by employers should you ever decide to go for an employed position, but the domestic installer course would maybe not.

Please bear in mind that the training centre and the NICEIC's prime interest is getting your money and not giving you the best advice for a career or trade.

The trade is full of guys who have completed these short courses who find themselves under qualified and experienced for the industry and have to start all over again with quals at considerable additional expense.

Thanks mate, i thought that was the case. Ive checked NIC and they just want to see the relevent quals and then examples of work. What quals do you have if you dont mind me asking. I just dont understand the difference between what i will gain in the above and say a nvq. I do eventually want to progress to be able to install in commercial, this is where im getting a bit stuck
[automerge]1575893651[/automerge]

pretty much the same as you. You'll need some site experience. my house has had pretty much every horror you can imagine so Ive done quite a bit of fault finding and testing. I still need more experience so the builder that ive been working with has agreed to farm out some work to me at the weekends when he likes to give his guys time off.. we'll see what that entails.

Reply to qualification help, in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net