Discuss qualifications to test under NICEIC in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hope that someone can help me on this one. I currently work for a housing association as their qualified electician and the company is looking to take on another electrician and also join the NICEIC approved contractors. What is in dispute is the qualifications the new sparks needs. He will predominately be carrying out EICRs on empty and occupied properties. I am 17th, Part P and 2391 to mention a few and am getting conflicting answers as to the requirements. The company are saying he can freely test on only 2392. Surely not? The NICEIC say that provided he is competent then he can test without any exams. NAPIT say that each individual must have 2391, and they assess each one.

You don't need any formal qualifications to do EICR's.

I think though to qualify to pay more to Napit and NICEIC, you need to have the 2391 to register as an approved EICR contractor with them.

As clear as mud

You don't need any formal qualifications to do EICR's.

I think though to qualify to pay more to Napit and NICEIC, you need to have the 2391 to register as an approved EICR contractor with them.

As clear as mud

Surely this makes a mockery of everyone thinking the NICEIC is the best thing since sliced bread. Who's to say that any of the work done by electricians registered under the approved contarctor scheme have any quals or knowledge?

agreed, one thing though with the approved contractor scheme under the NICEIC the engineer makes you prove to him you can test whilst he watches, not sure if the NICEIC domestic installer is the same, so to get approval as the qualifying manager or supervisor or whatever they call you these days you have to prove practically you can test and understand what is going on and what the readings mean etc.

Surely this makes a mockery of everyone thinking the NICEIC is the best thing since sliced bread. Who's to say that any of the work done by electricians registered under the approved contarctor scheme have any quals or knowledge?

Welcome to the real world of the commercial NICEIC. who portrays itself as the pinnacle of safety and excellence within the electrical industry!!

very good question murdoch, maybe the NICEIC would think so, I am not sure what their domestic installer engineers would say about that, but the approved contractor side need to see qualifications to prove your an electrician before considering someone for a qualifying manager/ supervisor, well they used to, maybe 5 weeks in the job is enough now for them haha, and I agree with some others they are just scammers today and are a joke really, a money making machine.

I would imagine that you need to be competent as defined by BS7671 (as far as I know there is no "competency" exam) and have appropriate insurance (in case you miss a fault or a condition that could become a fault that kills or injures someone via an electric shock or a fire).

Last edited by a moderator:

Its still sliced bread,but its gotten very stale in the last 10-15 years,so much so that on closer inspection it has become downright unhealthy,for the client that is

It is not completely relevent, but one of the blokes who was running our level 3 2330 course was an NICEIC inspector and I had a lot of respect for what he was teaching us (about 230/400v) mainly because there was a couple of 'lads' (only requiring quals) who had spent at least 10 years in the trade who vouched for his knowledge and slightly also because myself as a student who @JHUing worked hard and studied hard, thought this is a boke who actually seems to know what he is talking about.

I know a chap who's passed the 2391 with almost no site experience. Is he competent to do EICR's?

I knew a companies QS for the NICEIC who'd never done a days work as an electrician and they let him supervisor others. The blind leading the blind if you ask me NICEICs days are numbered if they let things carry on the way they are

I knew a companies QS for the NICEIC who'd never done a days work as an electrician and they let him supervisor others. The blind leading the blind if you ask me NICEICs days are numbered if they let things carry on the way they are

Wanna bet?? ...They will continue to get richer while the working electricians will get poorer, unfortunately that's the way of the real world these day's!! Parasites and incompetence seem to be able to thrive in modern times!!! lol!!

Reply to qualifications to test under NICEIC in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net