Discuss Qualified Electrical Engineer in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What are the minimal Qualifications to become a qualified Electrical Engineer????

What are the minimal Qualifications to become a qualified Electrical Engineer????
What do you mean by qualified electrical engineer?

Personally, I think it should be the case that only chartered engineers should be allowed the term engineer, just like other 'professional' (in big inverted commas!) such as chartered accountant etc.

But since we use engineer to describe the guy that re-fills the drinks machine, and he it would appear is 'qualified' to do so, then a driving licence complete with several points is all that's needed!

i call myself an electrical engineer as i done HND electrical engineering. some would say a degree is essential. i started off on a BSc, but dropped out after 1st year. one reason was that out of 42 1styear students, only 21 were allowed to progress to year 2. second was we had a maths lecturer ( of foreign ethicicity) and i could not understand a word he was saying. a chemistry lecturer who introduced us to a chemical called hydwojen, and an electrical bod who started off with 3 phase unbalanced loads. with A level physics, we'd never even heard of 3 phase, let alone that. in any case, a pen pusher with shiny arse pants job was not for me.

Last edited:
It's funny 'Engineer' isnt a protected term but when a job is advertised looking for an electrical engineer then 9 out of 10 times they are looking for someone with some kind of HNC/HND or relevant workbased experience in that field...
When a job is advertised looking for a heating engineer, they are looking for a plumber :/

I consider myself as a technician, and if I were to be professional registered I would sit in the Engtech bracket. I'm not sure I agree that all engineers need degrees but relative experience in that line of work. I know the IET will allow you to become IEng or CEng without a degree but if you dont have a degree, you have to go through a series of interviews and present a case in front of a panel

Last edited:
The word 'engineer' in English has multiple senses, so many non-technical people don't fully appreciate the difference between 'a person who works on machines' and engineer in the professional sense. In some languages and jurisdictions, there is a very clear definition of 'engineer', especially where it is a reserved title.

I don't think there is a single answer as to what specifics are required to make an Engineer when used in the conventional (proper) English sense. The 1961 Conference of Engineering Societies definition makes no reference to a specific qualification: Definition of Engineer on Wikipedia

I would expect a first professional degree (e.g. BSc, BEng), full membership of a professional organisation (e.g. IET, IEEE) and possibly some relevant experience.

The word 'engineer' in English has multiple senses, so many non-technical people don't fully appreciate the difference between 'a person who works on machines' and engineer in the professional sense. In some languages and jurisdictions, there is a very clear definition of 'engineer', especially where it is a reserved title.

I don't think there is a single answer as to what specifics are required to make an Engineer when used in the conventional (proper) English sense. The 1961 Conference of Engineering Societies definition makes no reference to a specific qualification: Definition of Engineer on Wikipedia

I would expect a first professional degree (e.g. BSc, BEng), full membership of a professional organisation (e.g. IET, IEEE) and possibly some relevant experience.

Agree, I was being somewhat punitive in my earlier response, but I do believe that an Engineer should be reserved for those with chartered status, which in real terms means a honours degree (Bsc or equivalent) plus the required training and experience as laid out by the council.
- in my case, although I had sufficient technical qualifications with my first degree, I did a second, and still needed 5 years+ of Engineering experience post that, so after my c&g stuff, I did an ONC, plus A levels then the four year degree, then 2 for masters, plus 5 before I was awarded chartered - just to shine my arse.

I think an advanced technician would be someone with an ordinary degree or HNC plus 5+ years

Technician would be ONC plus 5+ years

And craft/electrician would need C&g level 3 plus 5+ years experience

Obviously, there is a bit of flex each way, someone with an ordinary degree with loads of post qualified experience should be able to step up to chartered for example.

Similarly HNC has tec equivalents and so on.

and British gas have "engineers" to fix your leaky tap; now since the aquisition of Dynorod, they have "engineers" to unblock your bog drains..

and British gas have "engineers" to fix your leaky tap; now since the aquisition of Dynorod, they have "engineers" to unblock your bog drains..
So from what you are saying the term ! "Qualified Electrical Engineer" is a worthless title Yes?

So from what you are saying the term ! "Qualified Electrical Engineer" is a worthless title Yes?
no . i thing qualified engineer ( electrical or mechanical, whatever) is more of an earned title than bog cleaner engineer.

Reply to Qualified Electrical Engineer in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net