Discuss Qualified person for BS7671 Cert Peterborough Area in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jimlin

The DNO will be coming to upgrade the company fuse at my place soon.

On the customer side, I need to provide them with a BS7671 test certificate for the internal wiring.

I also need the the tails from the meter to the CU upgrading from 16mm to 25mm.

I need a switch fuse connecting to the mains supply ( 25mm tails required according to the DNO technician who carried out the inspection).

I need the earthing from the existing CU upgrading to 16mm and a 16mm earth fitting to the switch fuse.

Finally, I also need advice. I am planning to run a 16mm SWA cable to my workshop. I plan to route this into the roof space, secure it at 600cm centres to the brickwork and run it to the back of the house and from there out to the workshop. It will be clear of any roof insulation and will not be grouped with any other cables. Is this within regulations? (I selected the cable spec using the AEI calculator).

I have the cable and the switch fuse already.

So, is anyone out there up for this work? It would be in two parts - test for the BS7671 certificate and when the DNO have confirmed the upgrade date, be on site to install the tails and the earthing.

I thought I'd try here first as I had a lot of sound advice in reply to my first post about this project.

Ooops what an idiot I am, I just noticed you've put it in the title, Peterborough area

The DNO will be coming to upgrade the company fuse at my place soon.

On the customer side, I need to provide them with a BS7671 test certificate for the internal wiring.

Are you asking for a registered sparky to certify your work? If so, you are likely to be dissappointed as our schemes, are all about "self certification" - eg certifying our own work - NOT somebody elses!

Maybe I've minsterpreted you post.

If you've done the work yourself mate, then test and inspect it your self.

You aint going to get an installation cert from any half respecting spark i reckon.

Sounds very much like he's after an EICR. Then also isolator and new tails fitting with an EIC.

Plenty of registered sparks in Peterborough but I haven't dealt with any from that area so can't recommend any.

Guys, Guys, I know I'me new here but please read the post before shooting me down in flames.

I am looking for somebody to do the work, not to certify my work. If I was looking for someone to certify the work of an unqualified person, I would have said so.

I need the existing (unaltered) installation testing before the DNO will upgrade the supply.

If there are remedial works required I will need those carrying out too.

The only bit I am planning to do myself is physically run the cable from point A to point B. The qualified person is required to connect and test it.

Strima and Trev and RICS Electrical thanks. Can you recommend anyone?

Murdoch, yes, I think you did misinterpret my post.

Amp David, I think you replied without reading the post thoroughly. I AM NOT DOING THE WORK MYSELF.:confused5:

Come to think of it, as a computer technician (Apple Certified) I get asked to certify other people's work quite often. What's the problem? If it it's right, I give it a ticket of approval. If it's wrong, I issue a list of remedial works. Either way, I get paid for my time so what's different with you guys?

Hope I haven't offended anyone here but I was a bit miffed by the tone of two of the replies. I'm not trying to cut corners. I'm not trying to take work away from qualified people. I just want some advice and the paid for assistance of a qualified sparky. If I'm missing the point here please let me know.:25:

The problem is that a member of a self cert scheme is only allowed to do just that, but I twigged what you were on about with what you needed. They can do inspections and issue an electrical installation condition report which the supplier will more than likely accept, and that's what you need.
There's a thread called "Find an electrician in your area" there's bound to be someone in there near you, it'll be a trawl but you'll find someone mate. Or there's a lad called Strima who is in St Neots which I think is not too far away from Peterborough. He seems good for a laugh and knowledgeable so he might be worth a go

I've taken the liberty of sending him a PM with a link to this thread. He'll probably be in touch

I could do the EICR however I'm not registered with a scam so could not do any remedials or the EIC for the isolator etc.

And by rights if I found any C1's on notifiable circuits I would have to inform LABC and pay them to come and inspect any remedial work because the law is an arse!!!

As for the workshop power, what are you planning on running in there? 16mm SWA isn't cheap. If you post a few more details such as length of run inside and out, expected load, length of circuit etc we would be able to give you a better figure for the workshop installation. Although it would be down to the spark at the end of the day doing the work as to what gets thrown in.

Guys, Guys, I know I'me new here but please read the post before shooting me down in flames.

I am looking for somebody to do the work, not to certify my work. If I was looking for someone to certify the work of an unqualified person, I would have said so.

I need the existing (unaltered) installation testing before the DNO will upgrade the supply.

If there are remedial works required I will need those carrying out too.

The only bit I am planning to do myself is physically run the cable from point A to point B. The qualified person is required to connect and test it.

Strima and Trev and RICS Electrical thanks. Can you recommend anyone?

Murdoch, yes, I think you did misinterpret my post.

Amp David, I think you replied without reading the post thoroughly. I AM NOT DOING THE WORK MYSELF.:confused5:

Come to think of it, as a computer technician (Apple Certified) I get asked to certify other people's work quite often. What's the problem? If it it's right, I give it a ticket of approval. If it's wrong, I issue a list of remedial works. Either way, I get paid for my time so what's different with you guys?

Hope I haven't offended anyone here but I was a bit miffed by the tone of two of the replies. I'm not trying to cut corners. I'm not trying to take work away from qualified people. I just want some advice and the paid for assistance of a qualified sparky. If I'm missing the point here please let me know.:25:

That's fair enough, but when you read that you plan to do this and that, and nowhere does it state you are only to run in the cable, then how am I supposed to know this.

You also ask for a test cert for the existing wiring, right. Well this is why I said what I said, because it'd have to be an EICR and not an Cert.

Then other times we get the odd post about sparks only wanting to do all the work because if they haven't overseen or done the running of cable etc, they don't fancy putting their name to it.

Or there's a lad called Strima who is in St Neots which I think is not too far away from Peterborough. He seems good for a laugh and knowledgeable so he might be worth a go
Thanks for the vote of confidence Trev... :)

I'm getting better, only managed to start one fire last week and was able to put it out myself... :lol:

Reply to Qualified person for BS7671 Cert Peterborough Area in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock