Discuss Qualified to fix? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I qualified as a "PAT Tester" (C&G 2377) almost 10 years ago and for the first time last week I was asked if I was qualified to FIX any of the faults I found?

It never crossed my mind that I wasn't, if I am qualified to find a fault does it follow I am qualified to correct it? I must have corrected hundreds of faulty plugs and many bits of "Dodgy" wiring in fixed appliance faceplates. I am trained in safe isolation but have not qualified as an electrician so don't touch the supply side of anything, just the load.

So am I qualified to fix what I am qualified to test?

Can’t see why not long as you have some insurance to cover you behind...

Most of the pat testing faults I have found are either faulty plug wiring by an ameteur or faulty and knackered appliance which is beyond repair

If it requires a qualification to swap a 13a plug top then we are pretty much screwed...
True story....I had a carpet fitter ring me the other day for a price to change the plug on his hoover!...I thought it was a wind up and told him if he brings it to me I’ll do it....he did! And I changed it for him!

True story....I had a carpet fitter ring me the other day for a price to change the plug on his hoover!...I thought it was a wind up and told him if he brings it to me I’ll do it....he did! And I changed it for him!
Charged him I hope over the odds as well?????
[automerge]1575225229[/automerge]
I couldn't interest you in a 3 day course to learn how to change a socket front then ? Only £435 +vat.

Another SCAM dreamed up by NICEIC I see

Charged him I hope over the odds as well?????
[automerge]1575225229[/automerge]

Another SCAM dreamed up by NICEIC I see
Wonder how many " another course" to add to my CV, will pay for this load of nonsense £435:00 Jeez talk about money for old rope NICEIC have this sewn up well and truly, NICEIC any jobs going, in the Northampton are ? reckon I could manage to teach that course, will C&G be awarding a cert? of course they will, anything to get in on the act?? and to make matters worse the general public will demand to see the qualification as will the likes of Trusted Trader, Rated people and the other SCAMS. A blatant excuse to print money.

We have to do online courses in everything. Latest that they want us to do is a 'mental health awareness' course :tonguewink:

We have to do online courses in everything. Latest that they want us to do is a 'mental health awareness' course :tonguewink:
Nowt wrong with that Moley, but a course to change a socket? stupidity. The NICEIC will be setting up courses to change plug tops next, don't laugh you never know these days.

Nowt wrong with that Moley, but a course to change a socket? stupidity. The NICEIC will be setting up courses to change plug tops next, don't laugh you never know these days.

Where do I sign up ?

Anyone qualified to test ought to be able to do conventional electrical repairs, but one isn't automatically qualified to undertake all types of repair to PAT failures. For example, not all trained testers would be competent to repair:
  • Items using high voltages or ionising radiation, such as X-Ray machines.
  • Life support and other medical equipment.
  • Certain types of safety interlocks.
Etc.

IMHO, and I am not implicatimg the OP here at all, many so-called testers wouldn't be able to fix a table lamp.

In some countries, only electricians are supposed to fit plugs. We've all seen the scary stuff some numpties manage to produce, plugs on both ends of a lead, g/y cable in the line terminal etc, so there's a bit of logic in it.

Last edited:
I think I could teach a course like that.
£200 per head and I promise you will be done within an hour.
Course will be run at my local pub.
Included in the price is a pint and a bag of ? nuts.

Changing a plug or socket face is the basic fundamentals of our trade.
Maybe some people need training in stripping cable, tightening the screws and getting the colours in the right place.

Changing a plug or socket face is the basic fundamentals of our trade.
Maybe some people need training in stripping cable, tightening the screws and getting the colours in the right place.

A course to learn how to strip a cable is surely aimed at DIYers. And not aimed at electricians...
If you can’t strip a bit of flex then you shouldn’t be undertaking electrical work

Reply to Qualified to fix? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock