Discuss qualified to Part P in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

atm84

-
Reaction score
So I was on site last week and saw a sticker on an isolator saying:
'Qualified to BS7671, Part P and NiCEIC.

This guy had gone to the effort to get stickers made up with his name and so called qualifications.

Ill try and dig out the photo as I took one. I don't want to shame the guy but come on.

Also he had installed a 63A Wylex isolator to serve a 13amp switched fused spur which subsequently served a 13amp RCD double socket to plug a photocopier in.

Hi-I want to Install a double socket in my wooden 6x4 Garden shed, can I use a 6mm2 twin and earth run in conduit with 7 90 degree bends clipped to my fence and gate and no rcd and use this installation for my elecsa part p inspection? I have glued the conduit and used 13 plastic saddles around the fence?? Thanks for your help, by the way I worked at tesco until 6 weeks ago then I payed a skill centre 8k for my part p, I am a qualified electrican, thanks fellow sparks.

Numstka.

I wrote this for the other post which is now closed so -

Part P of the Buildings Regulations is a document which is upheld by law. It's not a guidance document like the British Standards BS7671.

Are you referring to Approved Document P?
Not exactly sure but to clarify - this is The Law.

Part P of the Building Regulations in Schedule 1 in its entirety.

Requirement
PART P ELECTRICAL SAFETY

Design, installation, inspection and
testing
P1. Reasonable provision shall be
made in the design and installation of
electrical installations in order to
protect persons operating,
maintaining or altering the
installations from fire or injury.

Limits on application
The requirements of this Part apply only to electrical installations that
are intended to operate at low or extra-low voltage and are:
a) in or attached to a dwelling;
b) in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings,
but excluding power supplies to lifts;
c) in a building that receives its electricity from a source located within
or shared with a dwelling; or
d) in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the
electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling.

Along with the list of notifiable work in Part 1

There is no more.

Anything else is just window dressing.
Anything calling itself Part P something (courses, qualifications, documents etc.) is using the name to assume validity.

just on a sidenote does anyone watch cowboy builders, dominic littlewood is always shouting for part p from the electrician, thankfully part p is not applicable where i live, but out of curiosity would the c&g 2391 exempt an english electrician from part p

just on a sidenote does anyone watch cowboy builders, dominic littlewood is always shouting for part p from the electrician, thankfully part p is not applicable where i live, but out of curiosity would the c&g 2391 exempt an english electrician from part p
No. Let's look at a guy like Tony just as an example (Sorry mate but you're the best one I can think of just now) Tony spent his working life in heavy industry, has forgotten more about motors than I'll ever know, has probably forgotten more about most things than I'll ever know actually.

He cannot install a new CU in my house legally. (I know he wouldn't want to but that's another story)

Where is the sense?

No. Let's look at a guy like Tony just as an example (Sorry mate but you're the best one I can think of just now) Tony spent his working life in heavy industry, has forgotten more about motors than I'll ever know, has probably forgotten more about most things than I'll ever know actually. He cannot install a new CU in my house legally. (I know he wouldn't want to but that's another story) Where is the sense?
i have to say it was soft work by the unions to let that one through, especially considering (if i'm right) joiners and plumbers can also get part p accreditation, there should have been a bare minimum of qualifications someone needed before being allowed to apply for part p (nvq3 etc)

i have to say it was soft work by the unions to let that one through, especially considering (if i'm right) joiners and plumbers can also get part p accreditation, there should have been a bare minimum of qualifications someone needed before being allowed to apply for part p (nvq3 etc)
Nothing to do with the unions mate, it was the idiotic part p legislation and the even more idiotic.....Oh you know where I'm going with this.

Nothing to do with the unions mate, it was the idiotic part p legislation and the even more idiotic.....Oh you know where I'm going with this.
no ... enlighten me... i'm only messing i seen that other bloated part p thread and was too lazy to read through 14 pages. (thanks for answering my question i'm unable to press like button javascript is disabled) but seriously the legislation should have been challenged when it was at consultation stage

No. Let's look at a guy like Tony just as an example (Sorry mate but you're the best one I can think of just now) Tony spent his working life in heavy industry, has forgotten more about motors than I'll ever know, has probably forgotten more about most things than I'll ever know actually.

He cannot install a new CU in my house legally. (I know he wouldn't want to but that's another story)

Where is the sense?

I can sympathise with that, I too have always worked in industry, but what bought it home was re-furbing an office suite in the factory where I installed all new lighting, sockets, data etc. but can't (technically) change my own CU!.

I can sympathise with that, I too have always worked in industry, but what bought it home was re-furbing an office suite in the factory where I installed all new lighting, sockets, data etc. but can't (technically) change my own CU!.
Exactly mate, you can wire an office but not a house.
EH?

Where is the sense?

Can you imagine the size of the thing - not to mention the weight of anything installed by Tony??

And there's the added inconvenience of taking the roof off to give the crane access to lift it in!!

Of course,there is the other side of that same coin,where Liveried-up,Part P registered long trading apparently bona-fide electricians turn up and spend 4 hours looking for a fault,fail to identify one,strongly recommend a rewire,charge ÂŁ120 and sail off into the distance,and 1 hour later sockets are off again...complain to scheme?...don't make me giggle...p.s. it was the faulty 32a Wylex mcb you muffins...:coolgleamA:

Reply to qualified to Part P in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net