Discuss Query about eddy effects in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So Allianz insurance inspector has pulled up a C3 ( I know it’s not mandatory) about magnetic effects from a circuit.
so we have a small 9-way board with cables entering via galvanised trunking and thru 3 20mm couplers.
They’re all single phase circuits but he’s highlighted one circuit that has the line coming into the board thru one coupler and the neutral coming in thru a different coupler.
What’s your thoughts on that?

I too would be inclined to C3 this. Unless the circuit current is very high, the effects of eddy currents are likely to be very small.

probablyi nsignificant if the current is low. how easty is it tomove the N to the L entry??

There’s not a lot of room with the other circuits which is why it may have been installed like that.
someone said before that it’s mainly 3-phase you have to worry about with eddy effects.

So Allianz insurance inspector has pulled up a C3 ( I know it’s not mandatory) about magnetic effects from a circuit.
so we have a small 9-way board with cables entering via galvanised trunking and thru 3 20mm couplers.
They’re all single phase circuits but he’s highlighted one circuit that has the line coming into the board thru one coupler and the neutral coming in thru a different coupler.
What’s your thoughts on that?
C3 every time have you seen the results of Eddy current heating
'

probably easier to move the cable than to calculate out the heat gain from the eddy currents
and the acceptable heat loss through the enclosure.

Technically incorrect but with a small circuit passing through a thin steel enclosure, unlikely to cause any noticeable effect. IIRC John Ward made a demo video showing that even with 100A passing through two separate knockouts in a CU, or so the temperature rise was only a degree or two. It becomes a problem once you get up into the hundreds of amps, with heavy gland plates on transformers etc.

Reply to Query about eddy effects in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net