Discuss Query on bathroom down lighters and RCD protection in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BMW

Hi
Wonder if anyone can help. I have been asked to replace some broken down lighters in a couple of bathrooms and change to LEDs. Now The bathroom is in good order but is not protected by a RCD.

Now I know the regs cannot be applied retrospectively and if I was adding something then I would insist on installing a RCD but to be clear.

I am not added to the existing circuity, I am replacing what was already there. I am merely connecting 3 wires and pushing the new fitting in the existing hole. Not a lot more than replacing a bulb. Now don't get me wrong I will be talking to the Customer about a RCBO anyway but, if the customer refuses out of interest what is the point where a RCD is required? I thought it was if I added to an existing circuit or modified the wiring or added another sized MCB. Looked in the Big Green book but cannot find the clarity I was looking for.

Any ideas please.

Additional protection, required in bathrooms if supplementary bonding is not present.

Although loosing the Halogen lighting for LEDs was probably better in terms of safety

The simple amswer if all you are doing is as described in your OP, is no you do not have to provide RCD protection.
There is no requirement in BS7671 for a light fitting to be provided with RCD protection.
In locations containing a bath or shower, the requirement is to provide RCD protection to the circuits of the location.
If you were altering or adding to the existing circuit, for instance if you were removing a single fitting and replacing it with a number of down lights, then yes you would have to provide RCD protection.

Reply to Query on bathroom down lighters and RCD protection in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net