Discuss Question about a right adapter for TV in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Z

zigzag

Hi everyone i have a MAXX Digital MXLC15 (15 inch) LCD TV. It says it needs "DC IN" at the back for the power.

Power Input: 12 V 40 W. It does not specify the Amps. I assume the max 3.33 A?

However i tried an old laptop adapter

Delta AC/DC Adapter ADP-15ZB B

Input: AC 100-240 V ~ 0.5 A 50-60 Hz
Output: 12 V 1.25 A

and the TV managed to turn on. Is that even the correct type of adapter for my TV? (not sure if its an AC or DC adapter lol)

The Amps are way lower than what i calculated and expected. Could something go wrong with the TV or even fry other appliances connected like the DVD player?

I've tried leaving the TV on for about 5 hours (TV is still cool) but the adapter is a somewhat hot....

I know that higher Amps is okay as the TV will only use as much current as it needs. But what about so much lower ?

Thank you very much in advance.

Hi ZZ,
If your TV requires 3A and the supply adaptor is rated @ 1.25A, you're over loading the adaptor, that's why it's getting hot.
Best option is to find the correct power supply for your telly. Ask in the shop or get googling! :)

Thanks for the reply Archy. From what i understand, the max amp is 12 V 40 W which means 3.33 A. Is there such thing as 3.33 lol? or does it go from 3.0 to 3.5 or how does it go lol. Whats the best Amp for my TV ?

Thanks again

A 12 volt and greater than 3.4 amp power adaptor, in DC.
Like I said, get down your nearest electrical shop, but avoid any Chinese stallholders, they'll just sell you a pile of garbage! :)

Yea i gotta know the specifics for the adapter cuz i dont wanna carry the TV to the store lol.

If an adapter is listed as AC/DC like the one i have at the moment, does it mean it works for both? I read somewhere that both a AC or DC adapter will work but the "right" one is recommended. Should i just look for one labelled just "DC Adapter"? Sry i can't tell the difference between the 2 lol. i just read the labels.

Btw you said greater than 3.4 A, so as long as its more than 3.4 its good? Is there such thing as "too high"? What range should i be looking for? Thanks a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea i gotta know the specifics for the adapter cuz i dont wanna carry the TV to the store lol.

If an adapter is listed as AC/DC like the one i have at the moment, does it mean it works for both? or should i just look for DC Adapter. Sry i can't tell the difference between the 2 lol. i just read the labels.

Btw you said greater than 3.4 A, so as long as its more than 3.4 its good? Is there such thing as "too high"? What range should i be looking for? Thanks a lot

Depends on what drugs you take or how far up a mountain you want to go I suppose. :)

Get down your local Maplins with a picture of your TV and ask for a power supply.

Thanks for all the help Archy. I really appreciate it :))

Have a good night ^^

zigzag, you just need a 12v, 5A dc adaptor. they're standard on CCTV and maplins will have them around £12 - £15. it doesn't matter what the amp rating is as long as it's > 3.3A. look at it this way, your car will probably do 100mph, but it's no detriment to drive at 60mph. that's thew nearest simile i can think of.

hey telectrix Thank you very much for the reply.

I went to the store (not maplins, too far..), but the technician kept insisting that a 3.0 A adapter is good, but i'm still iffy on that. Not too sure if i can trust him on that. I have it plugged in at the moment and im testing it for a few hours to see if heat builds up on the adapter. TV is working at the moment.

I got this one:

[h=1]DVE DSA-0421S-12 2 36 12V 3A Adapter AC Power Switching Power Supply Cord[/h]
its also on ebay here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVE-DSA-042...US_Monitor_Power_Supplies&hash=item3a7a465172

I'll keep this updated. Thank you very much ^^

I don't think anyone will recommend that you use a 3A supply when the spec calls for 3.33A. Might as well do it right, it won't cost much. Daz.

The stupid tech guy told me that a 3.0 A was right....damn i gotta return it then.

Thanks a lot. Can you verify that its a CCTV that i have? I got it from a tenant without the power supply. It doesn't have Channel +/- buttons but instead Prog +/- button.

They're sometimes labelled as prog+/- so it still is probably a TV. Has it got a standard co-ax input socket on the back? Daz

Edit: Managed to find a 12 V 3.33 A adapter.

Thanks for all the help guys

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Question about a right adapter for TV in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock