Discuss Question about Fuse Box in New Build in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

barefoot87

Hi There,

I'm in the process of buying a new build from Barratt Homes in North East England. Upon looking round the show home the fuse box was located half way up the wall inside the store cupboard under the stairs. However after looking around the plot we are interested in buying, the fuse box was in the downstairs toilet right above the toilet. I immediately asked about this, and was told that this was due to regulations and that the box needs to be accessible. OK i understand that, but why in the toilet? - Well according to them the regs have changed since the show home got built and this is the place where it goes. I've looked in to regs and can't see much stating about this, and guessing it's just more out of laziness on their part.

Would be great to get your thoughts.

img6132v.jpg

Exactly! I think it's laziness on their part and they are giving some regs about accessibility etc. I plan to box it up anyway but it's annoying. Anyone have any official word on this?

at least you can reset the RCD/s whilst having a crap. but it's pathetic. probably designed by an architect.

well, as it's almost 100% that the cables all come from above, and also it's probably a studded wall, i'd rip it off and move it up to the ceiling.

There is a train of thought that C/Us should be accessible for the disabled, perhaps they were trying that. Tel, the tails will probabably come straght through the wall from the meter box so lifting it up will mean putting new tails in. You do have to admire some guys work! :D

Word of advice: Don't take a p*ss with a hard on! :D

Last edited:
CU at ceiling height is readily accessible with a walking stick. all a disabled person needs to be able to do is reset MCB/RCD. anything else, there's mastercard (sorry, masterspark)

Agree with those above, this is an architects problem that should have been resolved as a very last resort on site!! Which only goes to show, that there must be Electrical Trainee site managers/agents out there too lol!!!

Let's be honest now, ...Who would in there right mind position the CU in that position in a new build house except an incompetent idiot!!

There are several, conficting regs regarding CU's. between this, between that unless this and OH! of course there is also that, plus if in a flood plain then it can go in the loft

Common sense usually comes to play and didn't here that just looks silly.

Reply to Question about Fuse Box in New Build in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net