Discuss question about NICEIC onsite assesment. in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HI.
I'm just going to leave my company and start working on my own.
I intend to get NICEIC registration. There is however one little problem
that bothers me. As a part of registration NICEIC inspector will carry on site assessment . Could somebody kindly describe me how practically it looks like.

As I understand it NICEIC picks two of my istallations and along with inspector
I have to go to client"s home where he (inspector) can see and check weather
wiring meets regs.

An now my question is. Has NICEIC any authority to enter my client's house.
If not what happens if client in question refuses to be at home on day of assessment?
Do I have to pay cancellation fee(350GBP?)

I would be greatefull for all explanations about how it works in real life.

HI,i went through this process last year and it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be(apart from having to deal with LABC).you apply to the nic to join their scheme ,when you have completed two installations give the addresses to nic ,they will arrange a date for onsite assesment at which you will be required to demonstrate competance at inspection and testing,they ask you questions about the readings you are getting and why.they are not trying to catch you out they just want to know you know your stuff.go for it and good luck.

Has NICEIC any authority to enter my client's house.

No only on invite by yourself & with customers approval.

If not what happens if client in question refuses to be at home on day of assessment?

I always pick customers who I know will be home (oap's & they like to feel that they are getting preferential treatment) or customers who will be happy with me having a key for access (relatives are good here) & try to have at least 4 addresses of which the assessor picks two to visit.
I have on a couple of assessments had the assessor only want to visit one address, as the work included submain to outbuildings & cu change in the house so he listed as two jobs.

I have not done it but if it was me I would contact your previous clients before submitting application to check if you can use them for the assessment. Better to do that than end up with egg on your face and not have anyone.

Can NICEIC really dictate which jobs you take them to? I had my ELECSA assessment yesterday and he asked me which job I was going to take him to (an in-progress rewire as it happened). As Paul M says, they're not out to get you, just making sure that you know what you're doing. In my case, I had to take a selection of sockets and switches off (his choice), do a couple of tests of the wiring and that's it. You need to make sure that you have ALL relevant paperwork to hand as well - completed test forms, copies of Regulations; on-site guide; selection and erection book; Electricity at Work regs and a copy of part `P`. You'll probably also need proof of public liability insurance and calibration certificates for your test gear. DON'T PANIC!

Thanks guys for all your responses.
They all were very helpful.

Is being member of competent person scheme the only way of working as an electrician in UK? I've asked this question on one of my courses. Answer was yes but it is in their best interest to say yes as the cost of being NICEIC member is quite considerable.

Hi Michael, You don't have to be a member of ANY organisation to be a sparky provided that you're qualified, follow IEE regulations and issue the proper certificates on completion of your work. You don't need to join a competent person scheme either but under the rules of part P you WILL need to get the building control of your local council involved if you do any `notifiable` work. They will come and inspect your work before and after completion for a fee that could be more expensive than the registration fee.

Yes Jurassic Spark. Technically I don't need any qualification to do this job as long as my installations meet British Wiring Standards (BS7671) and are notified when necessary . What I am asking is :
"Is there any qualification/s that obtained give you the right to do this job, call yourself electrician and be trusted by building control authorities without being a part of "competent person" scheme. And then I wouldn't have to bother my potential clients with NICEIC inspectors sniffing around their homes.

I'm not sure weather I've worded my question properly.
But as an example back in Poland I had "permit" to work on installations up to 1 kV. This permit I obtained by undertaking proper training and passing exam. Off course I could do my job without it but then I would need a signature of competent person
on completion of every job I did. The competent person would be the one who has "permit" in question. Naturally I would be charged for his signature.

Yes Jurassic Spark. Technically I don't need any qualification to do this job as long as my installations meet British Wiring Standards (BS7671) and are notified when necessary . What I am asking is :
"Is there any qualification/s that obtained give you the right to do this job, call yourself electrician and be trusted by building control authorities without being a part of "competent person" scheme. And then I wouldn't have to bother my potential clients with NICEIC inspectors sniffing around their homes.

I'm not sure weather I've worded my question properly.
But as an example back in Poland I had "permit" to work on installations up to 1 kV. This permit I obtained by undertaking proper training and passing exam. Off course I could do my job without it but then I would need a signature of competent person
on completion of every job I did. The competent person would be the one who has "permit" in question. Naturally I would be charged for his signature.

The minimum qualifaction I would consider is EAL Domestic Electric Installaer (or equivalanet) and a BS7671 qual

You would be a category 2 person from the approved document to Part P. This means you are qualified to issue BS7671 certificates for any electrical work you cary out

And I would consider these as the mimimum quals because these would also allow you to jon a Competenet Persons scheme such as Niceic's.

I've came across this on internet. But still having this qualification you have to be NICEIC (or other scheme) member.
I was thinking of going to school again and getting C&G 2360 which probably is equivalent of NVQ 3. But even though it takes 2 or three years and cost couple of thousands pounds I still cannot work as independent electrician without blessing form NICEIC.

The 2360 is now the 2330 and is 3 years part time to gain level 3, if you want nvq level 3 then i believe its another year on top of that which is mainly assessed at your work place, quickest and best bet is as shakey has said above..EALDEI....not sure on the price but there are a couple of people on here that can fix you up:)

I've came across this on internet. But still having this qualification you have to be NICEIC (or other scheme) member.
I was thinking of going to school again and getting C&G 2360 which probably is equivalent of NVQ 3. But even though it takes 2 or three years and cost couple of thousands pounds I still cannot work as independent electrician without blessing form NICEIC.

you dont have to join the NIC or anyone else

If you are qualified to complete BS7671 certs you can just use the LABC, pre-notifying each job

Works out expensive in the long run, but joining a competent persons scheme is not a requirement

Reply to question about NICEIC onsite assesment. in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock