Discuss Question About Playstation 4?? in the Gaming Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete E

-
DIY
Reaction score
I know nothing about consoles or games so was just looking for some advice.

The grandson has recently received a PS4 for his birthday.

It is all set up and working ok using the TV, but I was wondering if it was possible to hook it up to a laptop and use that screen instead?

The laptop in question is only about a year old and has a HDMI port on it....

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated as I don't know a thing about games consoles.

I know nothing about consoles or games so was just looking for some advice.

The grandson has recently received a PS4 for his birthday.

It is all set up and working ok using the TV, but I was wondering if it was possible to hook it up to a laptop and use that screen instead?

The laptop in question is only about a year old and has a HDMI port on it....

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated as I don't know a thing about games consoles.

Just remember that if you connect it to a monitor, most monitors don't have speakers, so you will need a speaker set-up.
If you are asking the question cause at the mo it's connected up to the main TV then just get a small TV (22" or 24") for the PS4.
That's what we did for our son.

You don't need a capture card for the PS4. There are options in the PS4 to do that. Press the 'SHARE' button on the controller.
Just Youtube it. There is a lot of info on there on how to do it.

The hdmi on the laptop will be a out put and wont recieve a signal but if you already have the laptop then there is ps4 remote play where you basically just use the ps4 to playbthe game but it streams it over ypur internet to your laptop it seems like you are playing the game on the laptop. Just google ps4 remote play

The laptop in question is only about a year old and has a HDMI port on it..

Sorry, should have read your post better... Usually the HDMI port on a laptop is so that you can plug it into a monitor, so you have a bigger screen...

Bugger... @Baker1988 beat me to it..

Thanks Guys, that is really appreciated! Its for when he stays with us so that he can play but we can keep an eye on him rather than put him in a different room on a spare telly..

To be honest the whole idea of kids having access to the web scares the living daylights out of me and I would much rather have him out walking the dog or fishing ect, but sadly that's not how the world works today...

Thanks Guys, that is really appreciated! Its for when he stays with us so that he can play but we can keep an eye on him rather than put him in a different room on a spare telly..

To be honest the whole idea of kids having access to the web scares the living daylights out of me and I would much rather have him out walking the dog or fishing ect, but sadly that's not how the world works today...

My lad loves his PS4. He loves playing Fortnite & Overwatch, sometimes GTA5. I make sure that all the people in his 'Party' are friends that he knows.

How old is your grandson?

My lad loves his PS4. He loves playing Fortnite & Overwatch, sometimes GTA5. I make sure that all the people in his 'Party' are friends that he knows.

How old is your grandson?

That's part of the problem in that he is only just turned 4...

Mum and dad are not together, and when he stays at dad's, lets him play lots of stuff I don't think is age appropriate; lets just say he is not exactly a responsible role model in that respect..

We have bought the little 'un a couple of age appropriate games and just want to keep a weather eye on him...

What is "Fortnite" like ?...I ask because that ones of the games he wants...

That's part of the problem in that he is only just turned 4...

Mum and dad are not together, and when he stays at dad's, lets him play lots of stuff I don't think is age appropriate; lets just say he is not exactly a responsible role model in that respect..

We have bought the little 'un a couple of age appropriate games and just want to keep a weather eye on him...

Don't go by the age rating on games.. They are a bit like the age ratings on films.
Best to check out the game play on Youtube and see if it's appropriate.
For example the 'Lego Movie Videogame' is rated 7 but I think would be suitable for a 4 year old.
Our lad is nearly 13. He plays the games I have mentioned above. Most the games he plays are rated for his age, however GTA5 is rated 18 but I think he has the intelligence to know its just a game... Don't get me wrong, there are quite a few games out there rated 18 that I would not let him play.

Don't go by the age rating on games.. They are a bit like the age ratings on films.
Best to check out the game play on Youtube and see if it's appropriate.
For example the 'Lego Movie Videogame' is rated 7 but I think would be suitable for a 4 year old.
Our lad is nearly 13. He plays the games I have mentioned above. Most the games he plays are rated for his age, however GTA5 is rated 18 but I think he has the intelligence to know its just a game... Don't get me wrong, there are quite a few games out there rated 18 that I would not let him play.

Thanks mate..I am not too concerned about the "difficulty" aspect of the games, just their content....will have a look at some on Youtube as you suggest...

Thanks mate..I am not too concerned about the "difficulty" aspect of the games, just their content....will have a look at some on Youtube as you suggest...

I was talking about their content mate.. Some of the Lego games can be a bit difficult in certain areas but the content, IMO, would be suitable.

You are doing the right thing by making sure he is in the room with you, try to resist a headset/microphone as long as you can, my lad is nine and some of his friends have potty mouths at that age! Fortnite may be a bit difficult for a four year old and is a shoot em up so not age appropriate in my humble opinion. Disney Affinity, Lego worlds and Rocket league would be good games for him at that age!

You are doing the right thing by making sure he is in the room with you, try to resist a headset/microphone as long as you can, my lad is nine and some of his friends have potty mouths at that age! Fortnite may be a bit difficult for a four year old and is a shoot em up so not age appropriate in my humble opinion. Disney Affinity, Lego worlds and Rocket league would be good games for him at that age!

I wasn't suggesting the OP's grandson play Fortnite.. I only mentioned that, with a couple of other games that my son (nearly 13) plays.
I did suggest the Lego games would be suitable for the OP's grandson.

You are doing the right thing by making sure he is in the room with you, try to resist a headset/microphone as long as you can, my lad is nine and some of his friends have potty mouths at that age! Fortnite may be a it difficult for a four year old and is a shoot em up so not age appropriate in my humble opinion. Disney Affinity, Lego worlds and Rocket league would be good games for him at that age!
I wasn't suggesting the OP's grandson play Fortnite.. I only mentioned that, with a couple of other games that my son (nearly 13) plays.
I did suggest the Lego games would be suitable for the OP's grandson.
The OP said it was one his grandson was wanting to play,

What is "Fortnite" like ?...I ask because that ones of the games he wants...

hadn't even read your post!?:)

I apologise @rolyberkin. You are correct.. I missed that from the OP's post.

@Pete E . My son and I both think that Fortnite would not be suitable for a 4 year old. He most probably want to play as it's the most popular game at the moment, and it's free. The game is a PVP (Player versus Player) shoot-em-up.
Check the game out on Youtube as there is lots of footage on there. My lad sometimes streams him and his mates playing it.

Thanks again gents..Rocket League is one of the ones we bought him to get him started, along with Crash Bandicoot..Will have a word with his mum about Fortnite but can't really over rule her, unless he is in my house...Will also keep an eye out for some of the other games mentioned...

Reply to Question About Playstation 4?? in the Gaming Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock