Discuss Question re 5 amp socket for flatscreen TV use in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

KLaf

Hello all, I am a newbie.

I'm looking for some advice about a wall-mounted 5 amp socket.

In a room in my parents' house there is a wall mounted 5 amp socket, of the three round pin type (I think it's called BS 546). The house was recently rewired and refurbished so the installation is about two years old.

It's pretty high up on a wall in the bedroom and has been installed alongside a TV aerial socket. There's nothing behind the TV aerial socket plate - it's not wired to anything. (I just checked)

My parents had asked for a "flatscreen TV hook up" for their bedroom wall. They just haven't gotten around to getting the flatscreen.

If useful, here's a link to a photo the socket.
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8995/06072010001.jpg
also a picture at the bottom of this post...hopefully.

My question is - is this normal? I've never seen a TV run off such a socket before in this country.

If it's neither normal nor abnormal but depends on the circumstances, what circumstances might cause someone to choose this kind of a socket instead of the usual three pin rectangular (BS 1363 I think it's called).

There are more of the 5 amp round pin sockets in the house, but intended for lighting use only, low on the walls near the ordinary sockets and controllable by lightswitches.

Would greatly appreciate any advice! Thanks a million.

Attachments

• 06072010.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 25
would imagine so as not to allow you to just plug anything in, was obviously fitted for one low appliance only to be connected and as its next to the tv aerial would say thats the giveaway.

I'm wondering if it's been taken off the lighting circuit for use with TV only.

So you can only watch TV with the lights on
ROTFL.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive really only seen 5amp sockets wired in 1.0 or 1.5mm, usually for table lamps switched from the light switch. Just wondered if this is maybe switched from a fused spur on the ring but wired in 1.0 or 1.5mm. But yeah a bit of a strange one.

Can't think of any other reason why you would use one of those for a TV.

Especially as most, if not all TVs come with moulded plugs and chopping them off can void the warranty.

Makes me wonder, were these sockets designed specifically for lighting circuits.

ok calcs out ok, designated socket, reasonable care etc

but does that comply wit Intended Use

but wouldn't this lead to confusion for the home owner who moves in after?

with all the DIY etc them mr joe Die Y changes for 'Normal' socket.

Not on the head of spark who might have included in notes but still could lead the wrong way easily.

I've used them before, but as someone else said generally only for table lamps switched from elsewhere.

Thank you all so much for your replies -

Might I ask one follow on question - it's about taking the wiring for this socket off the lighting circuit.

First, I think this is what was been done, because as Jud said "so you can only watch TV with the lights on"

...and this is exactly so, the TV 5A socket is controlled by the lightswitch beside the door, which also controls the two other 5A sockets in the room which are at the usual low height and have lamps plugged in them.

I plugged a third lamp into the "TV socket" and turned the lightswitch on and off - all three lamps went on and off.

So my question is, why would someone have chosen to do this rather than wiring it from the main ring? I suppose my real question is, would it save time or be easier compared to wiring the socket from the main ring.

Thanks again, enormously appreciate yr replies.

Thank you all so much for your replies -

Might I ask one follow on question - it's about taking the wiring for this socket off the lighting circuit.

First, I think this is what was been done, because as Jud said "so you can only watch TV with the lights on"

...and this is exactly so, the TV 5A socket is controlled by the lightswitch beside the door, which also controls the two other 5A sockets in the room which are at the usual low height and have lamps plugged in them.

I plugged a third lamp into the "TV socket" and turned the lightswitch on and off - all three lamps went on and off.

So my question is, why would someone have chosen to do this rather than wiring it from the main ring? I suppose my real question is, would it save time or be easier compared to wiring the socket from the main ring.

Thanks again, enormously appreciate yr replies.

I was only joking aswell.

Oh my Gawd, what a MAD idea :D

That's got DIY written all over it. Now I'm wondering if they've previously had wall lights and recycled the wiring for the TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds to me like it was possibly an after thought and was wired into the above lighting circuit.

Nothing wrong with it i would say, however not ideal.

I was only joking aswell.

Oh my Gawd, what a MAD idea :D

That's got DIY written all over it. Now I'm wondering if they've previously had wall lights and recycled the wiring for the TV.
That's what i was thinking - this sounds like it was an ingenious solution to a very specific problem which as with most DIY wiring projects wil have future residents confused and discombobulated, however the OP states the house was recently rewired; by the sound of it this crazy setup was actually intended for the television. Most people use a remote control to turn the telly on and off...

Check at the switch and see if there are more than one "Switched live" coming out the switch if so you could split them and switch the "TV" one seperatly or just dont plug table lamps in

Makes me wonder, were these sockets designed specifically for lighting circuits.

No they were not, they were in use as normal sockets along with the 15A round pin socket until the 13A socket and ring circuit appeared

Nowadays they are used as non standard socket outlets along with all the other non standard socket outlets that are available

Yes thats what I mean a layman who might have stayed in a few Hotels might well think its for lights.

Otherwise might think, whats this old style / foreign socket I'll replace that with a normal one and then later goes for a Trip, trip in the dark.

Die Y'er did not realize its on a lighting circuit.

I come across a boiler on a light circuit the other week.

I just don't think its a good thing a light circuit should be for lights and a boiler circuit for a boiler and a kitchen circuit for a kitchen and an outbuild circuit for an outbuild.

As, we are supposed to consider the future of the installation should we not make it idiot proof.

Reply to Question re 5 amp socket for flatscreen TV use in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net