Discuss Question re Neon Testers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mayfair

A lot of sparks out there get the hump as soon as someone mentions Neon tester type mains Indicators. Q is Before there were volt stix and non contact testers etc is there any evidence of death /shocks etc among sparks from using the old fashioned mains tester? Also what did some of the old timers actually use. The subject seems to provoke such reaction amongst members there must be a lot of bad stories out there (lets hope not old wives tales) but if they are so bad why in the land of regs and more regs (UK)are they still being sold and even bundled into sets of very pro sets of screwdrivers? looking forward to your comments.

I don't think i've ever owned one to be honest!! When starting at the companies training school we were all given Pukka voltage testers The square D solenoid one with the solenoid plunger indicating the voltage being measured against the bodies voltage markings. Later on these were replaced with Martindale neon indicating voltage testers. Still got both of them, ........Somewhere!! lol!!

The company banned the use of the screwdriver type neon tester, throughout all of it's factories, and strictly too... I guess that indoctrination has just stuck with me, over all these years!! haha!!

If you find it sometime would be nice to see a pic of some a the old gear cheers for that
I don't think i've ever owned one to be honest!! When starting at the companies training school we were all given Pukka voltage testers The square D solenoid one with the solenoid plunger indicating the voltage being measured against the bodies voltage markings. Later on these were replaced with Martindale neon indicating voltage testers. Still got both of them, ........Somewhere!! lol!!

The company banned the use of the screwdriver type neon tester, throughout all of it's factories, and strictly too... I guess that indoctrination has just stuck with me, over all these years!! haha!!

although i tend to agree on everyones opinion of them i have never heard of a single incident and apart from which they carry a kitemark so must be compliant and safe to use

Personally I don't like them, I think there's too much margin for error with them, all we really need is a breakdoown of the flimsy internal components there's scope to be directly connected. That said, I've never heard of an incident, other than the old 'there was this one guy' stories. As has been said, they have a kitemark and are still manufactured en masse, so they can't really be bad. My old man has always used one and laughs at me when I won't! I just can't bring myself to use something where you have to touch something conductive to make something light up!!

I do actually own dozens of them and use them as small terminal drivers - they fit 3-plate ceiling roses perfectly, and I always lose my tiny drivers. For a quid each, you can't fall off! Have been known to rip the guts out of them, though. Don't trust the things....

The problems with the neon test screwdrivers I've seen are;
1. They are not well made therefore not reliable.
2. A neon will illuminate at very low voltages as well as very high ones so even if the neon lights you never know if the voltage is a real supply or an induced 'surface' voltage.
3. A tester should be a dedicated device for testing only. If you use a neon tester as a screwdriver it's going to have the same effect as using your Fluke power analyzer as a hammer.

A while ago someone on here found an article on old skool methods of voltage detection. The approved indicator for 240v was a dry finger, while ELV was detected using a wet tongue. This method appears to have fallen out of favour in recent years.
I can see your point - the argument seems to be that you're putting your trust in the resistance in the neon screwdriver and if that fails you could be in for a shock, but to a certain degree you could say that about anything - nobody ever seems to query what would happen if double or reinforced insulation were to suddenly fail.

At college it was pointed out that while electricians seem to use screwdrivers insulated up to 1000v they're still not actually approved for live working, and in almost all cases live working is forbidden by the EAWR anyway.

A while ago someone on here found an article on old skool methods of voltage detection. The approved indicator for 240v was a dry finger, while ELV was detected using a wet tongue. This method appears to have fallen out of favour in recent years.
I can see your point - the argument seems to be that you're putting your trust in the resistance in the neon screwdriver and if that fails you could be in for a shock, but to a certain degree you could say that about anything - nobody ever seems to query what would happen if double or reinforced insulation were to suddenly fail.

At college it was pointed out that while electricians seem to use screwdrivers insulated up to 1000v they're still not actually approved for live working, and in almost all cases live working is forbidden by the EAWR anyway.

Live working!!!! hahaha!!! i don't think some of the younger sparks here would believe, as to what some of the older Electricians have been asked to do on live installations, including myself!!!

Just one example that still stands out in my mind is drilling live 600A bus-bars for a new 3ph supply . In my case, although given the best equipment to carry out such work, i was still more than just a little apprehensive at the time ...haha!! Just 19ish at the time!!! As i said, i used a DI drill manufactured for live working, the drill bit was insulated past the required depth point (also acted as a stop) Had supervision and two safety guys present, with a blocks of wood in there hands as i remember haha!!!

Sort of induction test that all the trainee's went through in those times, but at the time i thought i'd pulled the wrong straw!!! Until the other trainee with me at the time, had to bolt the new supply cables onto the bars that is...haha!!!

Been there done that but the good thing about it was you knew it was LIVE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Had one when I served my time in the 1970s I got a belt when I touched a gas pipe when using it, it went flying across the room and have never used one since.

As others have said they should be made illegal.

While serving my apprenticeship one of the trades men got a belt off one. OK he had dropped it in a pool of s***ty water, fished it out and then used it.
They were banned from site! Anyone found with one would get a warning..

Last edited by a moderator:
So i wonder if someone drops a fluke 120 into a pool of water then uses it and gets a belt, that will be Fluke testers banned
While serving my apprenticeship one of the trades men got a belt off one. OK he had dropped it in a pool of ****ty water, fished it out and then used it.
They were banned from site! Anyone found with one would get a warning..

mayfair, you beat me to it. i was going to say MFT.dropped in a bucket of sewer water

When I was an apprentice it was a neon or ordinary bayonet cap lamp and holder with a couple of leads on it,that was in the 1960s.The neons seemed better made back then,I think the modern ones are rubbish.Never any problems with them but wouldn't use one now as they don't give a reliable indication compared to a proper tester and proving unit.

Yep I did jump in as soon as I saw "neon testers", knee jerk reaction maybe but when you have had a wallop like I did many years ago I think it was understandable, but sorry I didn;'t read your question completely..........still ban them though

Reply to Question re Neon Testers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net